USB Device problems

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by EmilianoB, Jul 3, 2014.

1. EmilianoB

EmilianoB Bit poster

Hello,

I'm kind of a newbie in this forum so I beg your pardon if I'm missing anything, but I can't find anything refering to my problem.
    I write as I have a problem configuring a specific USB device: a datalogger which I suppose it's working as it works as expected (certified) in any Windows OS (XP to 8.x 32or64).

I'm on a MacBook Pro, with Parallels installed.

1) I created a virtual machine with Windows 8.1, everything fine, but
    - I run the Win 8.1 virtual machine
    - I attach the USB device
    - Parallels asks me if I want it connected to Mac or Windows, I choose Windows
    - Most of the times the virtual machine locks and I have to kill it
    - when it desn't lock I can't even see the USB device in Windows device manager

2) I created a physical partition on my HD with BootCamp, in which I installed Windows 8.1
    - I run the physical partition
    - the USB device (datalogger) works fine

3) I created a virtual machine upon the physical BootCamp Windows 8.1 partition
    - I run the virtual machine
    - the USB device (datalogger) works fine

On one side I can understand what changes between case 1 and case 2.
    I can't understand what's the difference between case 1 and 3.
    Do you have any solution, fix, advice, checklist, documentation, whatever to help me?

Thanks a million!
    Best regards

2. EmilianoB

EmilianoB Bit poster

Is it possible that no one replies? What did I miss?

3. strells

strells Product Expert

The main difference between 1 and 3 might be the downloading and installation of drivers, which might have happened automatically when in Boot Camp. Can you download and install drivers for this device before connecting it to the VM? The fact you don't see it in Device Manager is a clue.

Steve

4. EmilianoB

EmilianoB Bit poster

Hello Steve,

thank you for your reply.
    Installing the drivers before connecting the device to the VM is what I did.
    I'd like you to note that case 1, pure virtual machine, the device is not available in Windows Device Manager, so Windows doesn't "see" the device as connected.
    I went a little bit further: I uninstalled the drivers for the device. This normally generates, when connecting the device, a message from Windows that states something like "unknown device connected, looking for drivers"...
    This makes me think that the problem is not into the drivers but in *what* lets Parallels share the device with Windows.
    This *what* is working when connecting other devices.
    This *what* (as I understand) is skipped in case 2: when booting Windows only.
    This *what* is working in case 3: when launching as virtual a machine installed with BootCamp.
    Would you please suggest any test or attempt to investigate any further?

Many many thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
    Best regards

5. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello EmilianoB,

1. Please configure USB Device ( datalogger ) always be connected to desired Virtual Machine, preform the steps suggested at http://bit.ly/1kCC1lU to Set a Particular External Device to Always Be Used With Mac OS X or Windows Virtual Machine.
    2. Restart Windows Virtual Machine > Connect the device > now install the drivers for datalogger and restart Windows and let us know how does it works.

Please try enabling USB 3.0 for Windows Virtual Machine: http://kb.parallels.com/115008 . Restart Windows, install Parallels Tools and the drivers for datalogger. Perform step 1 and step 2 restart Windows and let us know how does it works.