Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac / Windows 8 stopped working

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ks_toh, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ks_toh

ks_toh Bit poster

I installed Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac / Windows 8 on my Macbook Air and it was running fine for several months.

Few months back, I think I updated the OS on my Mac. It is now running OS X 10.9.3. Suddely, Parallels stopped working. Whenever I try to run any Windows program, it will show "Starting Windows 8" forever. There is a "Show" button. If I press that, I am given a completely dark screen showing apparently the Parallels desktop. I have no idea where to go from there.

Often, I am asked to upgrade my Parallels to the latest version, which I am not keen.

1. Is there a way out of this mess? Or do I really have to upgrade my Parallels software?

2. How can i reinstall Parallels and Windows 8? I have the CDs.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Not keen? If you had allowed PDM to update when the version of PDM8 that supports OSX 10.9.x came out you likely wouldn't be having this problem.

Anyway, here's the most likely explanation: OS X 10.9.x is only supported in Parallels Desktop 8 in its latest versions, you should allow PDM8 to upgrade in order to work or download the latest version of PDM8 from the parallels site (if you have trouble finding it, although it's two clicks away from the home page, link is in my signature).

Also,another likely explanation and cumulative is that, in certain conditions, after an OS upgrade Parallels might be required to be reinstalled.
    My recommendation is to download the latest version PDM 8 from the site and install it over the current installation (does not interfere with the Virtual Machines).

Note: update PDM8, to its latest version, is not the same thing as upgrade to PDM9 (the latest major version). Both PDM8 and PDM9 support OS X 10.9 in their latest minor versions.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  3. ks_toh

ks_toh Bit poster

Apologies. I did not make myself clear.

When I said I was not keen when requested to upgrade, I am referring to the offer to upgrade to a newer version of PDM9 for US$49.99. I don't use PDM/Windows much, so PDM8 is fine for me.

Coincidentally, just after I posted and while waiting for a reply, I clicked around and found that there was an update to my PDM8. I did the update to PDM Build 8.0.18619 (Revision 1001606; April 24, 2014). Tried to run Windows 8 again, no luck. I still get that completely black PDM screen and the "Starting Windows 8" box forever. After I saw your post, I went to the link you gave. The latest PDM8 version listed is only Build 8.0.18615. When I tried to run that, I was told I already have a newer version. Anyway, I reinstalled it. No difference. I tried two options. First, I chose to install Build 8.0.18615 and skip the latest version 18619. Next, I agreed to reinstall the latest version 18619. Both times no difference.

Maybe I have to reinstall Windows 8? I need to find that CD.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert