Virtual Machine from BootCamp won't work

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Killerbob, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Killerbob

Killerbob Member

I have the nMP, created a BootCamp partition, installed Win8.1, and cloned this to an external SSD. Following that I blew away the BootCamp Partition. I now am able to boot from the external SSD into Win8.1 just fine, and it all works.

However, now I want to create a Virtual Machine in Parallels 8, using that Win8.1 installation on my external SSD, and thinking I can do this as I would from a Bootcamp installation, I find it doesn't work. Why not??? And, if this is some stupid limitation, how do I go about creating a Virtual Machine from that Win8.1 installation?

Thanks in advance!

2. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

Try adding the SSD as a boot camp image to your VM list, that is what I did with a windows hard drive I put in my Mac pro and it brought it right up.

3. Killerbob

Killerbob Member

I tried following the directions on the Parallels support site, and it totally screwed up the Windows installation. It kind of finished, and then when I tried to boot into bootcamp, it was missing system files, and I had to restore from WinClone. I guess it is not meant to be...

4. Killerbob

Killerbob Member

I just tried again and get errors:

1) Upgrading “virtual machine”. - Preparing to configure your virtual machine
    2) Goes into command and says
    No boot device is available, press Enter to continue
    Trying to boot from SATA drive 1

There is no operating system installed in this virtual machine

Then I stop. The Windows installation is on SATA1:0, and it should work. It sees it, but alas...

5. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

Set your drive type in the vm to ide, not stata.

6. Killerbob

Killerbob Member

I get the same error when selecting IDE...

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0
    CLIENT MAC ADDR: XX XX XX XX XX XX GUID: XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX
    PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

No noot device is available, press Enter to continue

7. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

PXE-MOF is a boot error trying to boot from the lan interface. IT seems as if your system does not see the physical hard drive. Only thing that I can think of, and sorry but I don't have the answer is that maybe you need to use some sort of boot flag setting in the hard drive configuration of the vm.

8. Abuliasavant

Abuliasavant Bit poster

I have the exact same issue on a nMP with Boot Camp installed on an external LaCie Thunderbolt SSD. Windows 8.1 is installed and works fine via Boot Camp, however I cannot make Parallels boot off the same Boot Camp partition. Even after the failed migration the Windows 8.1 install still works fine (I can boot into it as per a normal Boot Camp installation).

Any thoughts?

9. Abuliasavant

Abuliasavant Bit poster

So no one has gotten Parallels to work with a Boot Camp external drive? Should this be submitted as a bug?

10. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Abuliasavant,

Please check your private messages

11. Abuliasavant

Abuliasavant Bit poster

Marat sent me some instructions for compiling data to look at this issue. As part of the instructions was setting up a custom VM with EFI enabled versus having Parallels auto-detect. Creating the VM this way worked! Offhand I'm not sure what the difference is between my other attempts, but if I had to guess it was the EFI setting on the Boot Order menu. It's somewhat hidden; there's a good chance I missed that before.

In any case, the VM works in OS X and I can still boot directly into the drive under Boot Camp.

Here are the specific instructions provided: