Remove Parallels' options from "Open With" context menus.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by drylight, Nov 2, 2008.

1. drylight

drylight Bit poster

Hi all,

I was wondering if it was possible to remove the context menu options that Parallels adds under "Open With"?

For example, I received a Word document in Mail and when I right-click the document, go to "Open with", I see the option "WordPad MFC Application". Which (of course) was added by Parallels. I was simply wondering if it was possible to not have these appear? I really don't need them, nor want them in the context menus.

Cheers,
    Diego

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Yes, Disable Shared Applications (Smart Select) in VM Configuration Editor, or simply delete Windows Applications folder in Virtual machine folder

3. drylight

drylight Bit poster

Hi John,

Thank you for the response. I will give it a shot. Cheers!

Diego

4. fusionid

fusionid Bit poster

no this didnt work for me. Now when I click on .doc files, it just opens parallels but no notepad. Any more ideas?

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Actually our goal here is to disable Windows to open files, not vice verse

6. drylight

drylight Bit poster

"or simply delete Windows Applications folder in Virtual machine folder"

Thanks, this worked. @fusionid: you may need to reboot before you see the options gone from the context menu's "Open with" section. I had to reboot.

7. atourino

atourino Bit poster

Same problem

I have the same symptoms that I'd like to get rid of but the problem is that the VM image that Parallels gets the Programs from doesn't exist. It did exist before but I deleted it, but the context menu items are still there. My question is, how can I turn them off if the VM image is not there to delete the Windows Applications folder?

Update: I found the VM image that was causing the context menu items to appear. It seems I had two copies of the image. Sorry about the noise.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  8. ColeW

ColeW Bit poster

Contextual Menu

I've been using Parallels for about three years, upgrading every time a new version came out. I've also upgraded from XP to Vista, and then again to Windows 7.

Through this process I now find myself with as many as 16 'Open With...' listings of each of my Windows programs in the contextual menu. Every time I make any changes Parallels seems to spawn more contextual menu listings, even with the Shared Applications feature turned off. The amount of scrolling that is required to locate my program of choice has become difficult.

I've followed your advice and checked Shared Applications (Smart Select) in VM Configuration Editor. It was disabled. I've also deleted the 'Windows 7 Applications' folder in Virtual machine folder. Nothing has changed in the contextual menu.

How do I fix this?