Two really odd monitor issues (possibly unrelated)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tscales, Jul 19, 2014.

1. tscales

tscales Bit poster

I'm running the latest build of Parallels with a Windows 8.1 host on a 2012 Macbook Retina. I7, 8GB, 512GB SSD.

When I cold boot the Mac and cold boot Windows 8.1, it works fine.

If I reboot Windows 8, it comes up with TWO monitors on the laptop. You can use four fingers to scroll between them. The problem is that the 'ghost' one that was created doesn't allow any input, either keyboard or mouse. This is made worse by Parallels/Windows making that the default monitor, so apps open on it and I can't interact or move them.

Rebooting does not fix the problem. I have to shutdown Windows 8.1 and shut the Mac all the way down (power off, not restart). Then I get back to one monitor.

Until I reboot.

My other problem is that I usually run the Mac with an external monitor. It is a Seiki 39" 4K display. It is connected through an Active mini-displayport to HDMI adapter.

The problem is I want the Seiki to be the primary monitor. I set it as the main monitor and that works.

Until I reboot, and then the laptop is the main monitor again. It just won't stick.

BTW, if you're a developer, the Seiki is awesome. It's lousy for video (upscaling it poor), and I wouldn't play games on it, but for pure resolution it is amazing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.