USB 3.0 Over Elgato Thunderdock

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AdamHill, Jul 20, 2014.

1. AdamHill

AdamHill Bit poster

I am using the Elgato Thunderdock (https://www.elgato.com/en/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-dock) to get USB 3 on my Mac. All the ports on the Elgato are working, TB passthru is working and I get full USB 3 speeds on the Mac side.

I have enabled USB 3 support in the configuration of the VMs, but I only get USB 2 speeds. I am specifically interested in Windows, but the other guest OS's (Ubuntu and OSX) are only getting USB 2 speeds as well. The specific USB 3 device (Fresno) shows up in the Windows device manager as expected. Drive gets recognized and files transfer fine, just only 2.0 speeds.

I have optimized the VM for speed and have tried turning VT of and on (in case you needed VT for optimal IO virtualization)

Any other ideas?

2. strells

strells Product Expert

The USB 3.0 option is specifically for built-in USB 3.0 support, not an external adapter AFAIK. Are Windows drivers required? From the Devices menu (where you usually add USB devices to the VM), have you added this device? In other words, is the device attached to the Mac or is it attached to Windows?

Steve

3. AdamHill

AdamHill Bit poster

It is attached to the PC side and the proper driver and device shows up in Device Manager in the VM (a Fresco Logic USB 3.0 device) with no yellow exclamation point. I did not need to install any drivers when I first plugged i in and tested. The only deficit is running slowly. Are you saying on a Macbook Air with native USB 3 support I will get full speed USB 3?

Any debugging tools you would like me to run or any other info you would like to gather? I would like to figure out yay or nay if I am going to be able to get somewhere close to rated speeds.

Thanks for the quick answer.