New User Needing Help on Where to Save/Back Up Files Created in Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Skylamar, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Skylamar

Skylamar Bit poster

Hi, everyone. I've been a Mac user for almost 30 years and I've never owned a PC during that time.

However, I need to run a Windows program called Articulate Storyline so today I installed Parallels and Windows 7 Home Premium on my Mac.

Consequently, I have some questions about saving files and backing them up.

My situation and my questions:

My Mac is running Mavericks 10.9.4 and I use Time Machine for backups.

After I installed Windows 7 on my Mac with Parallels, Parallels created a "Parallels" folder in my Documents folder on my Mac. The folder is large — 8.8 GB. I don't want Time Machine to back up this folder so I've excluded this folder from Time Machine back ups.

However, I do want to save my Storyline documents in a folder that is backed up by Time Machine. So I'm a little confused where I should save them.

Can I save my Storyline documents to my Mac's drive (the Y drive according to Windows) in the Documents folder, just as I do with Mac documents? Or do I need to save my Storyline documents in the C drive generated by Parallels? The reason I ask is because I know the underpinnings of Mac OS and Windows file systems are not the same, so I'm concerned if I save my Storyline documents in my Y drive then that could negatively affect the files.

If I need to save my Storyline documents to the C drive, is there a way for Time Machine to back them up?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Skylamar

2. Sergei.B43

Sergei.B43 Bit poster

Hi Skylamar,

If it still actuall, I would like to offer you "Optimize for Time Machine" backup option:

When you set "Optimize for Time Machine" option enabled in Virtual Machine Configuration, snapshots are being taken every 48 hours.
    The last 3 snapshots are being kept and Time Machine is backing up only the last snapshot, but not the whole Virtual Machine. This allows you to reduce the amount of data that Time Machine backs up, to reduce the time Time Machine spends backing up the virtual hard disk(s).

For more information please follow this article: http://kb.parallels.com/115052