Files corrupted after copy from guest to host

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Frafan, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Frafan

Frafan Bit poster

When I copy files from my vm to the home in mac os x, sometimes the copy goes well sometimes it corrupts the file. For what i've seen the name of the files and the name of the directories is correct but the content is garbage. I tried on different machine and this bug is present in both ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04.

I have parallels desktop 9.0.24237.

Any idea?

2. MichaelHendry

MichaelHendry Bit poster

I'm using Parallels Desktop Version 10.0.2 (27712) on my iMac OS X version 10.9.2 to run an Ubuntu 14.04 VM.

Shotwell (in the Ubuntu VM) is regularly crashing on me, and I ran it through GDB, generating 'shotwell.log' and 'shotwell.gdb' files to send to Bugzilla along with the bug report.

My email and internet access is done on the host (OS X) system, and I copied these files using Nautilus to the Mac's filesystem, eventually finding out that this process corrupted the .gdb file (but not the .log).

It's disturbing that so fundamental a feature of the relationship as file-exchange between the guest and host operating systems should fail.

3. QLA

QLA Bit poster

Just chiming in to report the exact same problem. Interestingly, corrupted files seems to contain logs from ubuntu (the guest OS), e.g. lines including /usr/share/Radiance/gtk-3.0/assets/radio-unselected-disabled-alt.png[...]

It's likely that the guest OS tools use some sort of standard pipe that is also used by the guest OS and that the result we get on the host side is a mix-up of the two sources...

4. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

I have the same problem in 9.0.24251, only the files have the correct size but filled with nulls. It's actually been that way for quite a while and it's more plausible that it has something to do with copying to a Journalled HFS+ format. You can get around it by mounting a FAT32 external disk and copying to that, then by unmounting it and de-selecting it as an External HDD in Parallels so the Mac gains control over it... but that's not real productive. Would be much better if it worked correctly.

5. spiderkarma

spiderkarma Bit poster

I submitted a ticket and was informed this is in the queue for a fix.

6. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Thanks spiderkarma