Can't install Mavericks from any media

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Parallels User, Jul 24, 2014.

1. I tried to install Mavericks using the following media:

1. Recovery partition
    2. USB drive
    3. InstallESD.dmg

Every single method fails. Recovery and USB with the same error (No installation media present), the DMG says, it can't create a bootable image.

I'm using a FYI Fusion Drive (HDD and SDD) which seems to be the reason for the failing recovery partition installation.

I'm using the latest version of Parallels on the latest version of Mavericks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
  2. Matt_9999

Matt_9999 Bit poster

Same problem for me. I've been trying to install a new Mavericks and / or Yosemite Developer Preview VM and neither will install. I've tried installESD.dmg and also the "Install OS X...app" download from App Store for both versions of OS X. I get the can't create bootable image error.

3. I already contacted the Parallels support on Twitter (@ParallelsCares), they're going to help and asked me to post my problem here.

4. Matt_9999

Matt_9999 Bit poster

I've also submitted a support request via email and will post any solutions that they identify.

5. BérengerZ

BérengerZ Bit poster

Same here, I hope this will be fixed really soon. That is really annoying…

6. timhaigh

timhaigh Bit poster

Parallels now does not see any of my Mac installers as valid media. Mavericks installer, Mountain Lion and Lion. These installers were working last month so this must be due to a recent update of some kind. I have tried using bootable installers but parallels says no install media present even though it recognised the drive as an installer drive. Windows ISOs are working just fine. It is just Mac installers that seem to be broken.

I have submitted a support ticket.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  7. Matt_9999

Matt_9999 Bit poster

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to follow up to let you all know that a Parallels 2nd tier support engineer called me with regards to my support request and gave me what appears to be a work around. He also noted that "Developers" are working on a fix for this issue. I've got a Mavericks VM 1/2way through the install process so that might be a positive sign...

It was a simple workaround and almost sounds silly. My Mavericks 10.9.4 installer app was located in the default "applications" folder where the app store left it after the download completed. The Support agent asked me to move the file (Command +drag) or copy (option + Drag) it to my desktop out of the applications folder. I chose to move the file using the finder and finder required me to authenticate with username and password to complete the file move. Support agent noted that you could also use the terminal to move or copy the file. I'm not a terminal guru so I used the Finder. After that I launched Parallels.

Once parallels is up go to File and choose New to bring up the wizard.
    Choose "install windows or another OS..."
    In my case Parallels now automatically found the Mavericks installer app and gave me the option to use that installer.
    From there on I just accepted defaults and the VM is now about half way through the installation of Mavericks.

I will post back if the install completes successfully. I can't say if this will work for everyone but its something easy to try.

8. Matt_9999

Matt_9999 Bit poster

Well I can confirm that Mavericks was successfully installed after completing steps in my above post. The VM installed correctly, booted and I was able to install parallels tools. Seems good to me so far.

I hope this works for others.

9. Matt_9999

Matt_9999 Bit poster

Sorry for the repeated posts but I forgot to mention that an old Mountain Lion app store installer also seems to work if the installer app is located on the desktop.

10. timhaigh

timhaigh Bit poster

This did not work for me. I had to redownload the installers from the Aoo Store then move them to the desktop. I figure this has something to do with ownership permissions with the installers. Once copied to your desktop then you become the owner of the file. They now work.

11. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,

Sorry, It looks like it is an issue in Parallels 9 that it is impossible to drag-n-drop Install.app to the New VM Wizard window.

To workaround, Right-click in the drag-n-drop area. The "Open File" suggestion will appear. There it should be possible to select Install.app and install Mac OS VM.

12. Did that. Seems to work.

But why can't I change the size of the virtual hard disk? 64 GB is a little bit small. The arrows for resizing are greyed out.

13. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Likely it is because change of size could be done on stopped VM only. While create VM it was possible to check the option "customize settings" and change size of the disk.

Now you can stop the VM, increase size of the disk and resize disk partition in the Guest's /Applications/Utilities/DiskUtility.

14. Unfortunately not, no. I tried installing the Yosemite Beta after successfully installing Mavericks into a VM. After the first reboot the Yosemite Beta installer made, my VM hangs at this point:

Bildschirmfoto 2014-08-01 um 21.59.37.png

15. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Yosemite guest is not supported in the current Parallels Desktop 9. I cann't say more details about PD9 and Yosemite guest.

16. OK, thanks. My original issue is resolved. Thanks for your help :).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014