Upgraded to Window 7 from XP, and now both boot

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by tlpresn, Jul 25, 2014.

1. tlpresn

tlpresn Junior Member

I read that the upgrade from a full version would be clean. It seemed to be while it was going on, but now when I start Parallels, XP boots first, 7 starts but stops, then I have to close XP, and then 7 boots. My computer is at a crawl. I've tried deleting XP without success. Has anyone run into this? I can't find it anywhere on the forum. Any suggestions on how to eliminate XP while leaving Windows 7 (and the programs I've since reinstalled) intact?

Update: OK, now it's gone from bad to worse. I tried deleting Microsoft Windows XP.pvm from the virtual machine. Upon rebooting, the program noted errors and asked if I wanted to fix them. When it finished, the Windows 7 booted nicely and ran fine until Windows said it needed to perform 162 updates. It froze on 99, and it took several forced quits to finally stop it. When I tried to restart, it went to a DOS window and eventually said there was no operating system on the VM.

So, unless someone can give me any other suggestions, what's the best way to completely delete the contents in Parallels 9 and do a clean install? I'll even delete Parallels and start from that level if I can reinstall it without buying it again. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014