Reinstall PTools Broke Printer Connection

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TobyT, Jul 26, 2014.

1. TobyT

TobyT Hunter

Yesterday, I had to reinstall PTools after being unable to move documents from the Win XP guest to the Mac 10.6.8 desktop. Now, I can't connect to my Brother HL-5370 duplex printer. I'm running Parallels 9.0.24229. The settings for the HP Color Laser are completely unacceptable to me. I've tried everything to connect . . . . there are now two Brother printers only one of which has the right settings, but I can't print to it, thanks to Parallels Tools.

I can't find any useful help in Parallels' "knowledge base" or on the forum. What can I do to fix this mess? And, why has PTools broken a connection that has worked perfectly in the past? I noticed it was an updated version of PTools, which, honestly, I wouldn't have selected if I had a choice.
    Regards
    TobyT

2. TobyT

TobyT Hunter

Somebody must have an answer! So far I've tried repairing TCPIP.SYS = no help. I've tried turning off the printer and restarting = no help. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer twice = no help. I've verified the port address so I know that's correct. But, I still cannot print anything from the Windows guest. I KNOW it's gotta be that #%^& update because I was printing just fine all morning.
    TobyT

3. TobyT

TobyT Hunter

With no answer forthcoming, I filed a problem report, got a ticket and within 24 hours Parallels Tech Support had called me (after first sending useless email advice covering steps I'd already taken and explained in my support request email). It took a while because the tech repeated the steps I'd already taken (I'm sure this is a requirement as they cannot always depend upon people to have done the basic steps for problem resolution). Eventually, the problem was located: the local area connection had been disabled. Why? We've no idea. I've added this to my checklist of printer malfunction recovery procedures because, if it's happened once, it will happen again.