Running Disk Utility in virtual SLS machine under Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ncmphoto, Jul 28, 2014.

1. ncmphoto

ncmphoto Bit poster

I ran disk Utility on the Snow Leopard Server virtual machine (up to date with both OS and Parallels updates), to repair (or rather verify) the disk. It stopped with an error, saying I should boot from another volume and run Disk Repair. Since I don't know much about virtual OSs I am hesitant to try that and wouldn’t know from what to boot to try and repair the virtual OS. Can anyone offer some instruction on how to repair the virtual disk or should I ignore the error? The error message is:

Volume header needs minor repair
    The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
    Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disc), and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk.

2. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Other than reinstall Parallels Tools, what other methods are there to "fix" virtual disk corruption in a Mac OS X Guest use in Parallels?

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Have you try booting the VM (change boot order in VM preferences) using the SLS original disk or disk image (Mac OS X installation disc) and run Disk Repair from there?

In a non-virtual machine that is what you should do, and that's what the error says you should do.

4. ncmphoto

ncmphoto Bit poster

I had tried it from an external hd and the Recover partition but neither could see the virtual drive.

but Wow! Your suggestion worked! Thank you. It found the Header error and repaired it. I then ran Disk Repair a 2nd time to be sure there were no other problems but it didn't find any. It took me some poking around to find where the boot order lived (configure with SLS off) and then I had to go into hd and add the CD/DVD drive to the virtual machine, and set the boot order to boot from that. I must confess my first experience with a virtual machine dates back to about a week ago so I am a complete newbie.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Good to know, you're welcome.

Your other attempts didn't work because the virtual hd is only visible inside Parallels with Parallels running.

6. Steve Rickaby

Steve Rickaby Bit poster

By gosh and by golly, this helped me too. SL VM had reported that it could not reclaim space on the virtual disk, and DU reported repairs required. This is far simpler and less intrusive than what Parallels tech support suggested, which was complex and which I was leaving for a rainy day. To know that a VM can be booted from an install disk is very useful (even though it slightly does my head in), and is so, well, natural ;-). Many thanks.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You're welcome.