Cannot install Fedora - Install is complete but "Continue" button is disabled

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by davidhq, Jul 29, 2014.

1. davidhq

davidhq Bit poster

Image 2014-07-29 at 8.54.22 pm.png

it says Complete! and "Fedora is now successfully installed... " although the progress bar is not at the end... and the Finish configuration button is disabled.

What can be done? I'm trying to install Fedora-Live-Desktop-x86_64-20-1.iso

thank you
    david

2. Joel_R

Joel_R Bit poster

From your screenshot, it looks like it wants you to set a root password (top left) by clicking there, and after you set it, the Finish configuration button will probably become active.

3. davidhq

davidhq Bit poster

Thank you! That was it... interesting, I'm quite sure I didn't have to set the root password when installing in VirtualBox... but it's strange.

I'm now trying to install parallels tools but I get this:

http://cl.ly/image/3m472S0A1k1d

("Another instance of package manager is already running. Please stop it and restart Parallels Tools installation")

Still another thing: cursor moves a little strange.. I tried changing the settings for "Optimize for games"... but still it's different than in guest os - can anything be done here?

Thank you for further hints.
    david

4. Joel_R

Joel_R Bit poster

The package manager warning may be because Fedora is checking for updates on its own, in the background, while you are trying to install Parallels Tools. I think it defaults to waiting a few minutes after you log in to do the update check. So maybe try waiting a good while after logging in before starting the Parallels Tools install.

On mouse issues, until you get Parallels Tools successfully installed, your Fedora isn't using the mouse driver that would work best. So you really need to get the PT part done before trying to troubleshoot mouse, file system and video problems because PT installs drivers or kernel modules for all of these.

Just an aside here too -- Fedora gives you a few choices in desktop managers - Gnome, KDE, etc. I have had good luck using KDE and not such good luck using Gnome. I think they use different windows compositors, and one works ok with the Parallels video driver and the other does not.

5. davidhq

davidhq Bit poster

Great, thank you!

Everything is perfect now :)