Parallels, Time Machine, HD fail, and recovery woes

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Dee DeeS, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Dee DeeS

Dee DeeS Bit poster

Ugh.
    So the HD in our iMac running Mac OS Mountain Lion, Parallels 9, and Windows XP died.

When the HD was replaced, the person did not restore from the Time Machine. He did a fresh install of Mavericks. So at this point, the HD has the standard name: "Macintosh HD", but the User he established is not the same name, and the computer has a different name now, too.

Once the computer with the new HD and Mavericks was returned, we had a whale of a time trying to install Parallels and Windows. (I was not involved with that, so I am only going on reports.) The final (current) result is that right now, we do not have access to our old VM (which I am thinking has our windows-based data we need so much.)

I have scoured this excellent resource: http://pondini.org
    and have pretty much determined that our system was one of the unfortunates "bit" by some obscure problem with Time Machine and Mountain Lion (as described here: http://pondini.org/TM/D10.html

Essentially, we can "see" the files in the historic backups, but we are not able to restore or migrate them using Recovery or Migration Assistant.

Next we will be trying to do a recovery without a complete backup to rebuild the lost User profiles .
    Will it be possible to recover the VM data file?

ugh.
    Thanks for any insight.

p.s. A new installation of Parallels has been installed on the new HD. Also, the version of Windows is different: 8.1, versus what we formerly had: XP.

thanks.
    croixmom

2. Dee DeeS

Dee DeeS Bit poster

Update: I am attempting to copy the user home folders, etc. from the last "good" time machine backup. I see in the Shared folder, the Parallels folder which contains the Windows XP.pvm file I so desperately need!
    But *HOW* do I get that, since the new install installed Windows 8.1?????