Resolution too high in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by amacg6, Jul 31, 2014.

1. amacg6

amacg6 Junior Member

I have applied today's parallels update but now I find the text and icons are too small in windows 7. If I try and change the resolution in windows it defaults back to 2880x1538. It is set to "best for retina" in parallels tools - video.

2. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hello amacg6,

Please follow the steps suggested at: http://kb.parallels.com/119926 try adjusting the display settings and check how it goes.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

3. amacg6

amacg6 Junior Member

Unfortunately all this does is make the text in the retina display in OSX too large and extremely large in Windows

4. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hello amacg6,

Please follow the steps below:

1) Start Windows 7 Virtual Machine, Go to Control Panel > Open Appearance and Personalization > Choose Display > You can change the text size

2) Also Choose set custom text size (DPI) > Adjust the option "scale to this percentage of normal size" and also uncheck the option " Use Windows XP style DPI scaling and click Ok.

If still the issue persists after following the above steps, please try to follow the steps suggested at: http://kb.parallels.com/114700 and let us know how it goes.

5. amacg6

amacg6 Junior Member

Changing the DPI did the trick.Many thanks.

6. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hello amacg6,

Glad to hear that your issue was resolved. Feel free to get back to us, we're here to help you.

7. eeliashar

eeliashar Bit poster

i am having exactly the same problem, however none of the option helps. changing DPI does not stay permanent. i am asked to log out and it is back at its default when i log back in. the last option works, but it makes windows application very magnified. what am i doing wrong? is my inability to change DPI related to the other problem i have posted here of repeated request to enter the activation key for win 7?
    should i just remove it all and start from scratch?
    thanks

8. julienjut

julienjut Bit poster

When I update to PD9.0.24251, My VM's screen resolution begins to work error.
    I must change my VM to the highest resolution, or my Win7 VM's desktop and icon is too large.
    AS metioned, the DPI of Windows can not keep valid when logout and relogin. All the method listed int the solution(http://kb.parallels.com/114700 ) can not resolve the problem.
    I can get expected resolution intra the VM with 1440*900 when uncheck "Enable vertical synchronization" and with "Best For Retina".

It works fine in all the earlier versions.

MAC Book Pro(With Retina)13.3" OS X10.9.4, VM: Win7

9. julienjut

julienjut Bit poster

Make a supplement:
    Boot as "Scaled", after the VM booted, change resolution to "Best For Retina", that works fine. And "Enable vertical synchronization" makes no effect.
    when reboot the VM the problem resumes. I must change to "Scaled" before reboot the VM .