Upgrade to 4.0, XP goes into "Recovering orphaned file xxx" forever. :(

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ajmanik, Nov 11, 2008.

1. ajmanik

ajmanik Bit poster

Hi:

Bought, downloaded & installed PD4. Converted (no backup) my image. PD4 said some manual steps would be necessary -- per the FAQ, this is probably because I don't have autologon enabled.

Anyhow, windows chkdsk fired up, ran disk repair, and now has been going for 20 mins trying to "fix" my HD. Continuous error messages appear like: "Recovering orphaned file A00xxxxxx.xxx into director file 39346." :(

(screenshot attached)

Anyone else get killed like this?

Be careful if upgrading! :(

1. Mac OS Version - 10.5.5
    2. Parallels Build # - 4.0.3522
    3. What kind of computer - MacbookPro 2.16Ghz Core2Duo (MacBookPro2,2)
    4. Total Physical RAM - 3GB
    5. Hard Drives - Hitachi 200GB - Hitachi HTS722020K9SA00
    6. If you are using a BootCamp configuration or not - Not Boot Camp
    7. Did you upgrade from a BETA - No, build 3.5608 I believe (latest stable 3.x)
    8. With what Build did the problem start - 4.0.3522 (ie 4.0 install)
    9. If Parallels Tools are installed - didnt get that far
    10. Anything you have tried to get things working - waiting for chkdsk to end
    11. Anything specific about your set-up you think we should know
    12. If you are crashing, upload some crash logs
    13. If you are getting an error message type it in and then attach a screenshot. -- done
    14. If you are having issues with a specific component (i.e. mouse, keyboard, monitor) tell us what it is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. frogracer

frogracer Member

Yes, I got this too. After it ran through the check it would then start the conversion from step 1 of 4 and then stall again at about 20-25% and do the same thing over again. I gave up and converted back to V3 for now.

3. ajmanik

ajmanik Bit poster

Gave up on migration, switched to bootcamp

I gave up on trying to migrate my XP local HD image, and switch to a VM based on BootCamp. Worked great for a bit, then hit the dreaded "Cannot find hard disk 1" error seen by so many others.

PD4 is really not looking like its ready for prime time. :( Hope they issue a patch release soon for us "beta testers".

4. daveg65

daveg65 Bit poster

downgraded to 3.0 and upgraded

I downgraded the HDD to 3.0 and then ran 4.0 again it converted it back and is running great now.

5. ajmanik

ajmanik Bit poster

DaveG -- how did you "downgrade" the HDD? Do you mean you removed PD4, re-installed PD3, and booted from a backed up HDD image from PD4?

6. DaTa

DaTa Hunter