Parallels Desktop 8 and Yosemite Update

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Andrew@Parallels, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

If you intend to install the Mac OS X Yosemite public beta (10.10), please note that Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac will NOT run on the OS X Yosemite public beta. If you do install the beta, you will not be able to launch your Windows applications or directly access your files though Parallels Desktop 8.
    The Parallels Team is currently supporting Yosemite only on our current version, Parallels Desktop 9, and has not made any Yosemite-related updates to Parallels Desktop 8 at this time.
    If you do intend to install the Yosemite public beta for testing, your virtual machines and Windows apps will only run on Parallels Desktop 9 at this time.

On the current beta version, Apple has suggested making a complete backup of your system prior to installing the latest beta.

2. Octo07

Octo07 Junior Member

Could you explain, how you could release Parallels 10 working on Mac OS X 10.10.Beta 6, and but can't update the Parallels V9. When have you started working on parallels 10 and when will you stop.

FTLOSM likes this.
  3. Big Dave

Big Dave Bit poster

Money Grabbing, thats all.

FTLOSM and EJRickson like this.
  4. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

This thread is specifically dedicated to Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac.
    Version 9 works on Yosemite: http://kb.parallels.com/122670

5. Big Dave

Big Dave Bit poster

Quote from that link, note the words 'may be'.

The Development team is aware of this issue still being presented in Parallels Desktop 9, and a fix may be included in future Parallels Desktop 9 updates.

6. ClintonD

ClintonD Junior Member

Parallels 9 would not open with 10.10 dev release 6, so I went ahead and purchased Parallels 10 - no way I could get it to run under Yosemite beta.

Clinton

7. telmathedog

telmathedog Bit poster

The disclaimer is specifically mentioning Windows applications. What about if I have installed a virtual machine for linux, will it work or not with Parallels 8?

8. marpies

marpies Bit poster

I have PD 8 and Yosemite and all is working fine so what is this about?

9. Precision Gem

Precision Gem Bit poster

It seems every new OS and Parallels wants you to pay another $49 to get their program to work. I must have re-purchased the program 3 or 4 times by now. I may just dump it and go to bootcamp. Parallels and Quick books are the only two programs i know of that do this every update of the OS.

FTLOSM and Michael_Springfield like this.
  10. omar.ri

omar.ri Bit poster

pretty sure that in a subsequent update they are gonna kill it and boom!, goodbye VMs, this is not his first time.

Just read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac
    the software is made with one year expiration pattern, all version from parallels 6 to parallels 10 released in September or a month later.

I agree with you.
    WOW 4 Times!, you know I bought this in July 2013 now almost a year later I feel complete ripped off. I mean come on! you could at least announce that is going to be support for Yosemite, and of course without all the dumb integrations and the shiny stuffs, iCloud, continuity, bla bla, that the new os will bring to the table.
    but you public that it will NOT run on anything, I mean Thats just Evil !

Anyway F***K this, got my VM running on virtual box now, at least they care enough to support it. took me two hours but they are running intact, just like I left them from parallels. I was worth the time because I have installed expensive prep. software from pearson IT.

good luck on struggling to get out the last penny of the people, what a great company...

yours sincerely,

Pissed of never coming back customer.

FTLOSM and Abood like this.
  11. pechar

pechar Junior Member

Parallels support has enough time to delete my post stating my opinion on what a rip off Parallels 10 is from the Windows 7 guest os forum section. But getting some help to the users is non existent. Forcing me to pay €50 just because they decided not to support Yosemite with v8. What did I get for the €50... massive CPU consumption, constant temperatures hovering in the 90-190 Celsius and fake messages saying I have too little hard disk space (this is not the case, not for the guest nor host os). Really disappointed.

12. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hello Pechar,
    We do not delete any posts by customers unless it's a spam, advertising or forum rules violation.
    Parallels invests and focuses our finite resources on creating superior software to support Windows, Mac, Google, Linux and other communities -- software with the best compatibility and deepest integration with the latest and greatest from those hardware and OS providers. This development and innovation comes with costs, and it's not feasible to offer free upgrades from older versions of Parallels Desktop software. For the benefit of customers, we ensured that at least the last two versions of our product are compatible for an upgrade to the newest release.

As you have some technical issues with the latest version, please follow the steps suggested below:
    1) If your Virtual Machine is extremely slow and consumes about 100% of Mac CPU resources, please follow the steps suggested in this link: http://kb.parallels.com/116263
    2) If you get any error message with less hard disk space on Windows, please check the size of your Windows Virtual Machine hard disk ( Local disk C: ) If there is less space available on the virtual hard disk, you can give more hard disk space to Windows Virtual Machine by following the steps in this article: http://kb.parallels.com/113972
    Note: Before expanding the hard disk of Windows Virtual Machine, please take a back up of the .pvm file of your Windows.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

13. pechar

pechar Junior Member

Hello Mervin,

Thanks for your quick reply. I never violated any rules but my comment was still deleted or the forum system is not working well but lets ignore that.

I am using Bootcamp as the partition for the VM. I will try the first link you supplied when I have some time. I have enough space on both drives, and have even freed more to make sure. I have 29GB on the Host and 18GB free on the Guest (Windows 7) drive. This happens at random so I cannot replicate it.

14. pechar

pechar Junior Member

I've tried step 1 and still get spiking cpu usage above 100. Data like 127, 186. My VM is set as Developer mode to improve work with IDEs etc. I have parallels 10 upgrade.

I will admit that this only happens when staring up programs or starting the machine. During work it seems ok.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  15. Michael_Springfield

Michael_Springfield Bit poster

I agree. I am also frustrated with the fact that I have to buy a copy of Parallels for every Mac I own. I have 5 Macs. Their competitor lets me install on as many Macs at I have as long as I am an individual and not a business. Parallels needs to rethink their licensing and pricing. I paid $150 to upgrade to PD 8 and another $100 to upgrade to PD 9. I won't be doing it again for 10.

16. pechar

pechar Junior Member

What competitor do you use?

17. pechar

pechar Junior Member

Is anyone experiencing occasional 5 second hangs with parallels 10 this never happened with v8? @Mervin@Parallels any idea on how to solve this? Running VM off Boot Camp partition.

18. pechar

pechar Junior Member

Back to extreme high CPU usage. No matter what I do. Any ideas @Mervin@Parallels please?

19. Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams Bit poster

I am running the Yosemite gold master candidate. Parallels 8 still loads, and I am still able to launch my Windows XP VM. However I am presented with a notice stating that Parallels 8 will NOT run on OS X Yosemite (10.10)

I would assume then that I will be able to continue to use Parallels 8 on Yosemite after public release since the released version will likely be identical to the version of Yosemite that I am running. If Parallels 8 ceases to function upon public launch, then that would imply malicious intent on the part of Parallels to disable software that works in all technical respects.

Please clarify your position on this.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    FTLOSM and Alberto_Nada like this.
  20. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Ben,
    Parallels Desktop 8 is not compatible with OS X 10.10 and I'm surprised to hear you were able to launch it - that was not the case when we tested it in the labs. It may stop working anytime together with Yosemite updates - as Parallels Desktop 8 is not optimized for this OS. If you would like to continue using your Virtual Machine on Yosemite, we recommend you to upgrade to Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac. You may find information on what's new in Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac at http://kb.parallels.com/122698