Dropbox doesn't show up, even though "Shared Cloud" is checked

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Ed-Hawco, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Ed-Hawco

Ed-Hawco Member

Hello. I’ve been using Parallels Desktop for Mac for a few years now, with a Windows 7 VM. Until recently, I had two separate versions of Dropbox, one in each environment. Parallels 9 has Dropbox integration (use Mac Dropbox when in Win7), so hey, I decided to go that way.

Today I removed Dropbox from Win7, then upgraded to Parallels 9 on the Mac (OS X 10.9.4). I followed the instructions in http://kb.parallels.com/en/116987, and checked “Shared Cloud†and “Shared Mount.â€

In Win7 I get the expected “iCloud (Mac)†folder, plus “Photo Stream (Mac)†(whatever that is…) but I don’t get “Dropbox (Mac).†I also don’t get “Dropbox on ‘psf’ (Y:).

However, I can get to Dropbox by drilling down through “Home on ’psf’ (Y:)†until I find the Dropbox folder, and it does seem to work (I can read and write to it), but why isn’t it fully integrated, like iCloud is? And are there any limitations or glitches to using it this way?

(BTW, I did the same on my laptop, and Dropbox shows up there the way it’s supposed to.)

What am I missing?

2. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Ed-Hawco,

Parallels Tools should be installed in your Windows Virtual Machine to make this feature work properly. If you install your Cloud service app while your Virtual Machine is running you need to reboot your Virtual machine to make it visible in Windows.

Please Follow the steps below:

1. Download parallels Desktop 9 latest build from www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd9
    2. Install Parallels Desktop 9 http://kb.parallels.com/116989
    3. (Re)Install Parallels Tools as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/4841
    4. please follow the steps suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/116987 to integrate Drop box With Windows 7 and let us know how does it work.

3. Ed-Hawco

Ed-Hawco Member

Thanks Ram, but that doesn't help.

• I already have the latest build of Parallels 9 (just downloaded it today)
    • Parallels Tools was already installed (it installed when I installed Parallels)
    • Several reboots had already been done
    • Already followed the steps in KB 116987

As I said in my original post, it's working for iCloud, but not for Dropbox. All steps have been done as required, it just isn't finding Dropbox (although, as I already said, I CAN use Dropbox by navigating to it via Home on psf (Y:).

4. Ed-Hawco

Ed-Hawco Member

Before we go any further, please answer this:

Is there any difference between the official "Dropbox (on Mac)" folder that I'm supposed to see in my Windows explorer (the one that the sharing tool is supposed to create) and me simply making an alias to the Dropbox folder?

Because here's the thing: in Windows I made an alias to my Mac's Dropbox folder, added it to the "Favorites" section of my Windows Explorer, and it works. Mind you, it's a regular yellow folder, not a blue one with an icon on it (like the "iCloud (Mac)" folder, and like the "Dropbox (Mac)" folder that's missing should be), but it WORKS the same, so am I missing anything by just leaving it like this?

Is there any advantage to fixing this "problem?"

(I see that I'm missing having "Dropbox on 'psf'" iin the "Network Location" section, but I don't know if that's a problem...)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  5. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Ed-Hawco,

It could be an issue with User profile on Windows Virtual Machine, we suggest you to create a new User account on Windows Virtual Machine and check how it works.

Go to Control Panel > User accounts & Click on the Add or remove user accounts control panel option > Select "Create a new account" > Select type as Administrator. Please log off from the current User and login to new User account created and check if Drop box folder appears in psf folder.

If still same issue occurs, please create & send us a Problem Report ID as suggested at http://kb.sp.parallels.com/9058 . We will check and get back to you.

6. Ed-Hawco

Ed-Hawco Member

ManojD, I created a second Administrator account. The same problem appears there. Problem report created and sent.

I'm going to ask the following question for the THIRD TIME. Hopefully someone will answer:

Is there any difference between the official "Dropbox (on Mac)" folder that I'm supposed to see in my Windows explorer (the one that the sharing tool is supposed to create) and me simply making an alias to the Dropbox folder?

My workaround seems to work, so maybe I should just leave it be. Is there any advantage to fixing this "problem?"

Also, what the heck is "Photo Stream (Mac)?" I am NOT sharing photos, videos, etc. between Mac and Win7, but this folder showed up where Dropbox should be. But I can't write to it in Win7 (it says I need permission to do that), and I don't know where it is in Mac. The folder is empty.