Stardock ModernMix and Start8 license problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DoniK, Aug 14, 2014.

1. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Latest PD9 + Win8.1 using Windows 7 Look. Stardock utils working great for many months. The utils asked me to install the latest updates the other day, so I did. I've done this before in the past, no problem. However, now I keep getting pop-ups from ModernMix and Start8 that the licenses aren't found and I need to enter a product key or purchase. The utils seem to be working, but I keep getting the pop-up nags.

Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 10.56.04 AM.png

I've tried disabling Windows 7 Look, uninstalling Stardock utils, re-enabling Windows 7 Look, and updating the apps, but the errors return. I am only using my VM with PD9, not BootCamp or anything else.

Ideas? Has Parallels' licensing deal with Stardock expired? Or can I refresh the license somehow?

Thanks

2. shatterpaw

shatterpaw Bit poster

ditto for me on both apps

3. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi All,

Both Start8 and ModernMix applications are provided by Stardock.

Please contact StarDock directly at http://www.stardock.com/support/ For support questions on StarDock installation, updates, and troubleshooting,

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The utilities are installed via Parallels Tools which also takes care of the license, in my opinion if you uninstall the utils you should reinstall Parallels Tools in order to get the utils back.

5. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi all,

Please uninstall the latest update of Start8 from the Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features; here is a link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/uninstall-change-program you can read for steps to remove a program.

After removing Start8 you can reinstall it again by following steps on step number 2 found on this link http://kb.parallels.com/116716 Do not update Start8 after reinstalling it.

Start8 is a third party application and if you prefer to use the update you need to purchase their license. Feel free to reach us, if you need any further assistance.

6. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

I have a ticket open with Stardock on this.
    I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Stardock utils and Parallels Tools -- doesn't help.

@ManojD-- Are you saying it's an official response that the latest Stardock incremental point updates will no longer be licensed by Parallels? Because point updates have been working fine since PD9 was released. So this would be a significant change.

7. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

VaclavS likes this.
  8. rogjack

rogjack Bit poster

Thanks for finding that out. And for posting the solution. :)

Parallels support should have been able to answer that. :(

VaclavS likes this.
  9. LeVeL5

LeVeL5 Junior Member

I'm having the same issue with the latest versions of Start8 and ModernMix on Windows 8.1 and Parallels 10.

10. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support