Parallels Desktop 9 quit unexpectedly

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Lukeisnotsixcharacters, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Lukeisnotsixcharacters

Lukeisnotsixcharacters Bit poster

Hi All,

We have a long running issue with Parallels which their support was unable to resolve.
    Please forum help me out!

We have quite a number of Macs with Parallels 9 installed which all run an SOE of Windows 7 64bit enterprise deployed via SCCM to macs which are configured using Casper, the macs are generally standard with office installed and a custom SUS set.
    Nothing extraordinary.

Most of the Macs (of random builds) will run Parallels 9 for a week or a month and then Parallels will crash, normally after an OS update or a Parallels update with an error saying Parallels Desktop quit unexpectedly.
    This error shows the moment the parallels icon is double clicked but will continue to reappear if reopen is clicked, at this point Parallels 9 is completely broken and is unopenable.

I have copied a copy of the error report from one of the computers here: http://pastebin.com/369Nu9DU

So far i have tried, uninstalling parallels and deleting all config files and plists which relate to Parallels, and then reinstalling - this does not work the error reappears on first open.
    Secondly we have tried repairing the virtual drive, this does not work either, the drive rarely looks corrupted and if it is moved to a working computer Parallels will launch fine.

The only thing I have found which works is installing VMware Fusion, once installed Parallels will open fine, however if Fusion is uninstalled parallels will break again.
    Likewise any updates from Parallels or Apple tend to make the error return.

I have ran composer to monitor system file changes during installation to see what common files it is touching, however one of these files seem to be the key to our problem.

Please please help!
    So far the only sure fire fix that will fix it each time is to completely reimage both OSX and Windows which is not a solution as it take too long and the problem simply returns again a month later.

Please let me know if there is any further information or log files i can provide.

Thanks in advance!

Luke

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Luke,

Thank you for elaborating the issue.
    Please follow the steps mentioned below :

- Try to reset ACL permissions as per http://kb.parallels.com/120432
    - Restart Mac and check the issue.

If it doesn't help,

- Uninstall Parallels Desktop 9 : http://kb.parallels.com/116992
    - Create new user account on Mac (Administrator).
    - Download Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac from http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd9
    - Install Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac
    - Run Parallels Desktop 9 and check the issue.

Let us know how it goes!

3. Lukeisnotsixcharacters

Thanks Abdul,

Unfortunately neither of these fixes helped, the first one resetting permissions did not seem to affect Parallels.
    After the restart Parallels still threw the error immediately.

However uninstalling Parallels and creating a new user did fix the problem momentarily.
    I opened and closed Parallels about four or five times and then restarted the computer, and after restarting the computer Parallels is giving the same error again.

Any further solutions would be greatly appreciated!

4. Lukeisnotsixcharacters

Bump?

Anyone have any ideas other than buying a site licence for Fusion?

5. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Luke,
    I located your support ticket and as one of the engineers mentioned in the email, the case has been escalated to development team for further investigation/fix.
    Please keep your Parallels Desktop updated and the fix should be included to one of the future builds.

6. Lukeisnotsixcharacters

Thanks for your reply Andrew.

We cannot wait any longer.
    Time for us to move on. I do appreciate your reply though.