Backup and restore Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Sunny11346, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Sunny11346

Sunny11346 Bit poster

Hi,

I have the immediate action need to be upgrade the Mac OS to Mavericks. But in my mac book, I only run the Parallels Desktop 7 and I know that it is not support Mavericks. Therefore, before I go upgrade the Mac OS, I must know how to migrate the existing data in Desktop 7 to Desktop 9 after I have upgrade the Mac OS and also the Parallels?

If there is no any method to migrate the data from Desktop 7 (which is windows 7 installed on it) to Desktop 9, I will forgive using Parallels.

B. Rgds,
    Sunny

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The easiest way is to first upgrade Parallels from 7 to 9 (as 9 works in OS X 10.6.8 and later), and the upgrade to Mavericks, there is no migration process of Parallels 9 as Parallels 9 will recognize and use Parallels 7 settings and VMs, when you upgrade to Mavericks Parallels will already be working, if Parallels has any problem after the upgrade to Mavericks, just reinstall PDM9, your VMs and settings will be unaffected.

For extra security in case something goes wrong, the only thing you need to backup is the .pvm packages in ~/Documents/Parallels, these are your Virtual Machines.

3. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Sunny,

By upgrading Parallels Desktop 7 to 9 will not affect Windows Virtual Machine, you can still use the same Windows 7 on Parallels Desktop 9 on your Mac. As you wish to backup Virtual Machine before upgrading Mac OS X, By default Virtual Machine files are saved to either Documents/Parallels folder inside your user folder, or to /Users/Shared/Parallels.

Note : Parallels Desktop Virtual Machines have .pvm extension

You can Copy .pvm file to an external Hard Drive and then upgrade Mac OS X. Once it is completed and after installing Parallels Desktop 9, you transfer the .pvm file to your Mac HD to the default location and double click on .pvm file to run Windows 7 on Parallels Desktop 9.

Feel free to reach us, if you need any further assistance. We're happy to help you.