Yosemite Beta 6 + Parallels 10 3d Acceleration ?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Nevermore, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore Bit poster

Hi, i just installed Parallels 10 and Yosemite Beta 6 into it... ist horrible slow and the graphics have latency.. while there is no option for 3d Acceleration. Is this normal ? or will this be solved in the near feature ? Or is there a trick to get the 3d acceleration to work ?

2. drewallen

drewallen Bit poster

Same issue here, although with the public beta release 2 (which I think is more or less the same as the developer beta 6). The performance is so laggy that Yosemite turned off all the window/menu blur effects. I've tried increasing RAM and VRAM with no luck. I have other guest VMs (Windows 7, Ubuntu) and they run real smooth.

I haven't found a trick to enable 3D acceleration either for the Yosemite guest OS.

Kind of a bummer that I just bought the upgrade so I could run Yosemite and already it doesn't work. I guess that's the liability of trying to run an OS that's still in a beta phase.

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

There's no hardware acceleration for OS X Guests.

4. GrizzlyAdams

GrizzlyAdams Member

And there never will be or this is a future development?

The lack of it makes the Yosemite experience a bit less than satisfactory, to say the least.

5. Deflator

Deflator Bit poster

PD 10.0.0 and 10.0.1 both show almost unusable graphics performance with OS X as guest. I recently upgraded to the latest version of Parallels because I need a Yosemite guest OS for developmental purposes. With PD 9 the performance of a Mavericks VM was barely acceptable. PD10 literally broke this advertised feature for me because of performance reasons. Both my Mavericks VM and the new Yosemite OS run too slow to make any use of virtualization. I agree with GrizzlyAdams, a hardware acceleration of OS X VMs does not look just like an advantage over competition but like a must-have feature for future versions of PD.

I try to run my OS X guest on top of PD 10 (27695). My host is a MacBook Pro Mid-2012 (non-retina) with OS X 10.9.4.

6. the_klutzak

the_klutzak Bit poster

Parallels 10 not truly Yosemite compatible

I was running a Mavericks guest OS on a Mavericks system. (Parallels 9). Performance wasn't stellar considering I'm running it on a 6 core mac pro; but it was acceptable.

Then, I upgraded to Parallels 10 and there was not change in the performance of the guest OS. That's expected.

However, when I upgraded the guest OS to Yosemite, its video performance declined to being unusable.

So basically, Parallels 10 is not really Yosemite guest OS compatible; in that it doesn't support it to anywhere near the same level that it supports Mavericks as a guest OS.

I don't know if it will support Yosemite as a guest OS better if it is run on a Yosemite system. However, since a very reasonable use for parallels is to test yosemite on a Mavericks system before upgrading; I would think that it would perform better than it does.

At least as well as a Maverick guest OS.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

There's no hardware acceleration for OS X guests. Apple doesn't open their API so Parallels can't write the drivers. My guess is that Yosemite UI is more graphics intense and relies more on hardware support.

8. StefanPopp

StefanPopp Bit poster

Dear Specimen,

we got your point about the hardware acceleration but right now for us the product is unusable with 10.10 with PD9 or PD10.
    I got two i7 macs around (iMac 27" / Retina MB) and also my MacPro (quad) is performing so bad that even opening the finder takes more then 2 seconds. The CPU usage is so massive that also the host system is close to unusable.

We need more performance and not a discussion about APIs.

9. drewallen

drewallen Bit poster

I've submitted a problem report within Parallels about this. Hopefully this issue will get addressed once the OS is out of beta (latest). I dropped $50 on the upgrade specifically so I could run Yosemite as a guest OS. I'm not completely upset, considering 10.10 is still in beta and there will be issues. But still, it was advertised as Yosemite compatible and at this point that is a false statement. It is unusable as a guest OS.

10. Deflator

Deflator Bit poster

How to submit a problem report?

11. drewallen

drewallen Bit poster

Help > Report a Problem. Make sure you have the VM running when you send it so it can collect the diagnostic data.

12. nanoANT

nanoANT Member

Technically you are correct. However it sounds like Apple has dropped non-3D accelerated GUI and now uses kind of OpenGL software mode on VM systems, which results in degraded performance. I think your (as Parallels Team) responsibility is to push Apple to resolve this situation, rather than saying "it is not our fault".

13. Deflator

Deflator Bit poster

I have set up both latest VMware Fusion 7 and Parallels 10 at my machine. Although not perfect, VMware runs noticeably faster than Parallels with Yosemite as a guest operating system. The user interface feels much more responsive and even computation and system setup performs better. For me it is time switch to Fusion.

14. nanoANT

nanoANT Member

Frankly I cannot confirm that. I did the same yesterday and only visible advantage of VMware is no tearing in Yosemite guest when dragging windows etc. However UI lags same bad on both VMware and PD. And again this is mostly Apple's fault that they did all Windows effects to be now GPU dependent where in previous OSX there was software rendering fallback.

I gonna test today to see if it works any better when you connect to Yosemite guest via RDP (Apple Remote).