Love the new 10 version

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AlekseyM, Aug 20, 2014.

1. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but love the new 10 version. So much faster, love the new features. Awesome!

2. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Aleksey,

We're blushing! Thank you for the kind words. We will pass them along to our development team.

3. RonaldNC

RonaldNC Bit poster

Wow... I'm the opposite. It's hard to believe, but Windows 7 seems to be even slower. I feel like I wasted $50.

Where do you notice the improvement? If I want to start up Windows and Quicken, I click the icon and go get a cup of coffee, get a snack, check the mail... and it's still not finished. After using the product since version 7, I'm seriously thinking about other alternatives.

What am I doing wrong?

Ron

4. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Ron - this is not supposed to happen. There might be some misconfiguration in your virtual machine.
    Please try to follow the suggestions from http://kb.parallels.com/112091

5. RonaldNC

RonaldNC Bit poster

I've gone through the suggestions and all but one was as recommended by the document. I changed it and it made no difference.

I decided to try increasing the CPUs from 1 to 2... and my system locked up... had to force a shut down of the whole computer... not just Windows.

I tried uninstalling my Avast anti-virus (just to see if it would help). It improved noticeably... is there a problem running Avast under Parallels? Do you suggest another product?

Ron

6. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Make sure the amount of memory you are using leaves enough for your mac. Also, what kind of mac are you running it on? I tried P10 on an older MBA that only has 4gbs of ram and an UVC processor and I still get really good performance out of Windows 7. This may be a Windows issue as well.

What kind of Mac do you have? Does it use a spinning drive or an SSD?

A couple of other things. Quicken is horribly written. I run it natively sometimes and it's slow. Silly things like resizing a window and it feels like it's locking up. Not related to Parallels though.

As for where I see improvements on, it's mostly things like launching programs, boot times, and since I'm a developer compile times on large programs is a huge improvement. I also noticed moving windows around, like the UI is really smooth and fast, but NOT always and I'm not sure when it decides to be a little choppy and when it's fast. Maybe someone at Parallels has an idea?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  7. RonaldNC

RonaldNC Bit poster

I'm running a Late 2011 MacBook Pro with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 and 4 GB ram. It has a hard drive, not SSD. I've been running Parallels since it was new... and the product just gets slower and slower with every new version. While Quicken is certainly not the quickest app, it takes just as long to open a browser in Windows 7.

I'll continue to struggle with the product, because I don't really have a choice. I just wish I had stayed with version 9 (or even 8), as there is no discernible value with these latest upgrades. As much money as I spent on Parallels 7, 8 and 9... plus a copy of Windows 7... I could have simply bought a Windows laptop to run the four apps I run!

Ron

8. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Ron,

Please generate a Problem Report ID as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the PR ID, so we can check it for you.

9. strells

strells Product Expert

4 GB is a tight fit. How much of that memory are you allocating to the VM? A late 2011 should be able to support at least 8 GB I would think. Can you upgrade the RAM? That would help immensely.

Steve

10. vikingboy

vikingboy Junior Member

I have to agree, I really don't see much improvement in performance. Yes apps load quicker but on my ssd based mbp that improvement Is from 1second to about 0.7 seconds, even less noticeable if it's cached. I spent the weekend benchmarking v9 against v10 and found slight improvements in the region of 3% for cpu and 10% gpu. An audio conversion of 5gigs+ of flac files took 3m 9s on v9 dropped by only one second on version ten, I expected more given the improvements to I/O and multi threaded processing.

11. jackinoz

jackinoz Bit poster

I wish I had stayed with the old version - it was fast, it worked. This one is soooo slow. I can't even do text editing without having to wait for the screen to catch up in case it misses a key or mouse move. press key - wait - check screen updates correctly - press key - wait - repeat - repeat. And don't try to defrag the machine from inside windows as the http://kb.parallels.com/112091 suggests. I tried that, kept freeing up disk space until half my 128Gb ssd was devoted to the defrag, then had to abort it (nicely). now my machine won't boot as it doesn't have enough disk space. please please fix this soooon

12. vikingboy

vikingboy Junior Member

Thats just not right, v10 might not be 50% faster across the board but it isn't noticeably slower either.

13. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

I think too many processors assigned to the VM or too much RAM. I just don't see it being slower. Same sure, but not slower.

14. Manoj@Parallels

Hi AlekseyM,

Please follow the instructions given at http://kb.parallels.com/en/112091 to improve Virtual Machine performance on Mac and check how it goes!

15. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Oh I'm fine. This was advice to jackinoz :]

16. Manoj@Parallels

Hello AlekseyM,

Glad that it works! Feel free to reach us, if you need any further help with Parallels. We're happy to help you.

17. jackinoz

jackinoz Bit poster

Done that - still slow. I will log a bug report with details cause it sure ain't no better yet.

18. dwilliamhouston

dwilliamhouston Bit poster

Late 2011 MacBook Pro can actually handle 16GB of RAM. Its what I have. Im not sure if Apple officially supports 16GB but you can check out macsales.com for the information. It helps a lot...

19. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Alright, I swear I don't work for Parallels, but man, the more I use v10 the happier I am. Whomever had the idea of having each VM show up as a separate dock item, I love you!! And the parallels icon opens up the VM library. Having/running 3-4 sometimes 5 vms are the same time, a feature like this is essential!! Please don't remove this feature :)

20. RonaldNC

RonaldNC Bit poster

Is it possible to go back to Version 8 or 9? I first bought Version 7 when I bought this laptop and it was buggy... but Version 8 was great! Version 9 was about the same speed, but Version 10 is considerably slower. Why should I have to buy more ram to use a supposedly faster version??? I'd be very happy to go back a version or two... is that possible?

Ron