How to downgrade from PD 10 to PD 9

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ThempuS, Aug 21, 2014.

1. ThempuS

ThempuS Bit poster

I find Parallels Desktop 10 to be horrible slow and buggy on my setup, I've tried all sort of settings and combinations. How to downgrade from version 10 to version 9?

2. MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa Member

Reinstall?

I am relatively new to Parallels but have almost the same question. I currently have 9 installed and was wondering if the upgrade to 10 was worth doing and how, if it was not, to return to 9. Before I upgraded to 9 I made a complete backup with the intention of restoring it if I wanted to go back to 8. I would do the same thing before upgrading to 10.

But, if you don't have a backup, can you just re-install 9? Will a re-installation of 9 work and return you to 9?

3. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

If you really need to downgrade, please follow these steps:
    1. Make a backup of your VM: http://kb.parallels.com/4859
    2. Uninstall Parallels Tools: http://kb.parallels.com/4841
    3. Uninstall Parallels Desktop 10 (move it to Trash from Applications list)
    4. Re-download Parallels Desktop 9 at http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd9
    5. Install it

However I wouldn't recommend to downgrade at all. You have 30 days free phone support and 24 months free email support from the product release date.
    You can call, chat or email Parallels Support at http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/support/

4. JamesHardin

JamesHardin Bit poster

With respect, v10 should not be released; talking to support isn't going to fix that.

5. chiang

chiang Junior Member

I agree what JamesHardin said, V10 should be test more before release or pd fans will go crazy ...

6. Franzel

Franzel Bit poster

Same for me, V9 was running very smooth, V10.0.2 (27712) is slow, unresponsive and e.g. scrolling in latest Chrome a pain.
    Already send error report with all needed logs.

(latest MacbookPRO with maximum specs, W8.1 in retina mode (200%))

7. chiang

chiang Junior Member

unfortunately pd10 bugfix is very slow now, maybe someone should take these message to developer team.

8. PaulKorm

PaulKorm Member

Also downgrading from 10 to 9. Parallels support is rarely helpful.

9. chiang

chiang Junior Member

too bad, same feeling to me,
    I think someone should tell us "the truth about pd10 development problem".
    We pay for new version, good, ... but a lot bug in pd10.

10. Franzel

Franzel Bit poster

First: upgrading to V10 was the worst experience I ever made. Unbelievable for professional software!
    Second: succeed to restore the performance
    Third: steps to do

1) uninstall Parallels Tools
    2) remove V10 from Mac (including all settings)
    3) restart Mac
    4) install V9
    5) create an empty VM with Windows 8.1 (no installation of OS)
    6) configure VM according to your needs
    7) point HDD image to HDD image file from existing VM
    8) launch new VM and install Parallels Tools

Now my speed is back. Chrome is usable again and compiling a complex project with VS2013 went down from 6 minutes to less than 3 minutes.

After this steps I rearranged everything in one VM bundle again and good speed was remaining...

-----------------------

Side note: I tried the same steps from above with a fresh VM10 installation. No success.

Conclusion: VM10 should be pulled, problems should be fixed, loyal customers should get some refund for all the time lost!

11. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi All,

Please submit a Support request at http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/support/
    You can call, chat or email Parallels Support, so one of our representatives will assist you with the issue which you are facing in Parallels Desktop.
    We are glad to assist you!

12. Franzel

Franzel Bit poster

In software business myself. For such kind of issues support will be hardly helpful.

Feel free having some of your software engineers involved contacting me for a in-deep discussion about the issue.

13. KavehV

KavehV Member

Realistically, Parallels should be offering at least partial refunds to anyone who paid for a PD10 upgrade right now. It's disappointing how many bugs they introduced.

14. chiang

chiang Junior Member

good idea, can I refund now ?

15. ivahost

ivahost Member

Are you guys running yosemite as the host os on your macs? I see the same on my yosemite machines but not on my mac mini that is on 10.9.4. Parallels seem to be using between 130-150% of the cpu while the vm itself is idle when running uner yosemity. But the same vm under mavericks only uses ~5% in the same circumstances. Since yosemite is a beta itself I feel I cant blame this on parallels.

Thats not to say that PD10 was released at the correct time. I still remember all the problems I had last year when PD9 came out with all the ghost screens it left in its wake when using the new and improved fullscreen support. It took way to long for that to stabilize.

-Ivar

16. chiang

chiang Junior Member

in my experience,
    mavericks + pd9 : good job
    mavericks + pd10 : mouse isn't working good in dual monitor.

so I downgrade to pd9 then everything becomes good... zzz...

17. ivahost

ivahost Member

If you have problems in mavericks then thats parallels problem.

-Ivar

18. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

In my experience, they likely will escalate the problem up to the engineer's themselves, but as per 'due process' it has to start via a support request, which I'll admit, might be a bit frustrating as you'll have to repeat what you have said before.

19. PaulKorm

PaulKorm Member

Over the years I've opened tickets with Parallels support and never received satisfaction. The answers always boil down to "it's the customer's fault" and "reinstall all your products". So, I opened a ticket when I was using PD 10 and could only run one Windows application at a time (otherwise PD 10 crashed). The answer: "reinstall windows" and "we've never seen problems with Windows" -- meaning, it's the customer's fault. Now that I'm back to PD 9 I have a stable environment. I wasted USD 50 and will never see a dime of that.

20. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

No, you shouldn't assume it means that. When the solution presented contains the reinstallation of a piece of software that means it's a way to reduce the number of probable causes, many times because there's not enough information to correctly pinpoint the cause, so they just go through a checklist. The second phrase you mention means that, with the information provided they weren't able to duplicate the issue.

Again, I'm not saying it's the costumer's fault for not providing adequate information, it's just how it is.

Actual bug tracking requires a lot of work and commitment on behalf of all parts, and enough technical knowledge to have a meaningful communication, knowledge which is not to be expected from most costumers.