Moving Folders from Root Directory to external Drive

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Kuanyn, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Kuanyn

Kuanyn Junior Member

My root drive is short of space. I am using Parallel 9 on
    a mac with windows 8 and attached a thunderbolt hard disk enclosure.

Which are the folders and files of windows 8 that can be transfered to the
    attached thunderbolt hard disk enclosure without affecting the windows 8?

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi Kuanyn,

You can move/copy the entire .pvm file for your windows 8 to an external drive attached to your mac by thunderbolt. I have Parallels installed on my mac hard drive 256 gb hd and I have all my vms' saved on my 1 tb external drive this is due to lack of space on my mac. The first time you use it you will have to select it on you external drive: Open Parallels select from the top menu File>Open>your external drive> the location of the .pvm file.
    2014-08-23 07.21.59 am.png
    You just need to remember not to turn off the external drive when the vm is running.
    kat

3. Kuanyn

Kuanyn Junior Member

Thank You Kat for the solution. Did you find any performance lacking?

4. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi Kuanyn,

I have no issues for my mac pro I am using a 1TB 7200rpm external HD in a powered Dock.
    For my mac air I am using a portable g drive mini 750 gb @ 7200rpm (they didn't have a 1 tb at the time) that can be used with external power (but I don't use external power). Works great I am able to program without issue using Blue J or Eclipse for instance. This may sound silly but I use spider solitaire some of the time to check on performance/speed (I enjoy the game).
    kat

5. Kuanyn

Kuanyn Junior Member

Thanks Kat.
    Will follow your suggestion.