P10: How do I get rid of the daughter window?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by neilc1, Aug 25, 2014.

1. neilc1

neilc1 Bit poster

I'm running P10 on a Macbook Air with Windows 8.1.

On P9 I could launch a Parallels session from the dock and it would load a full window running Win 8.1 but no Control Center daughter window showing the Parallels virtual spaces.

Now every time I click over to expand the P10 session from the dock, I get a Control Center window in the middle of the screen.

How do I turn this off so I can easily jump in and out with no distraction?

I don't see an option that is apparent in preferences.

On a related note, to shut down, there is no longer an option in the lower left corner of the window below the Windows 8.1 dock bar. Is there an option to turn this back on?

Finally, before I had one icon in the dock - Parallels 9 during a running session. Now I have Parallels 9, Windows 8.1, and Quicken icon when I'm only running Quicken. I really don't need all the icons and did nothing to change the config from what I was running before after the upgrade. Can someone help with these annoyances?

Thanks -

neilc

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Neilc,

By default the Parallels Desktop Control Center will be displayed when you click on Parallels Desktop application icon from the Dock or from Applications folder.
    But you can try pinning your Virtual Machine to the Dock which will not automatically display the Control Center when running the Virtual Machine.

To have the Virtual Machine pinned to Dock :
    Start the Virtual Machine through the Parallels Desktop application (as usual), the running Virtual Machine will be displayed on the Dock. Right click on the VM icon on the Dock -> Options -> Keep in Dock.

Now you can quit Parallels Desktop application and direct start your VM by selecting the VM icon from the Dock without opening the Parallels Desktop Control Center.

3. Hermand

Hermand Bit poster

Can you bump this to Development or something please, Abdul. The way it worked in P9 was fine, but now in P10 this behaviour is rather irritating. I don't want the VM icon in the Dock, sorry.

4. neilc1

neilc1 Bit poster

Abdul

Thanks but that does not fix the problem. With no Parallels running, I have one pinned icon - Windows 8.1 in my dock. But when I start Parallels, I end up with multiple icons even though I have not turned on coherence.

i still have three icons in my dock - the one I pinned is the Windows 8.1 icon. The other two are Parallels Desktop and Quicken for Windows. I really wanted just ONE icon in the dock which is the way it was before. I don't understand how to turn off the other icons from displaying, including the daughter window which still shows up with a control panel.

Can you work with either the settings to change this or elevate to engineering? I tolerate Windows but don't want the clutter that this version of P10 now brings!

Thank you

neilc

5. ZivHen

ZivHen Bit poster

--------

Hi Abdul, Pinning the VM (keep in dock) doesn't work... now I have three icons instead of two :-(

Did anyone get it working?