Mac and Windows Excel; Set Which Program to Use?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by aventeren, Aug 29, 2014.

1. aventeren

aventeren Member

Howdy--

I have Office for Mac installed on my Mac and I have Office 2007 installed within Parallels.

When I click to open an Excel file, they are always opened by my Office for Mac program--even if the file is located within my Windows environment within Parallels 8.

Is it possible to have Windows Excel files within the P8 environment open using my Office 2007 Excel program installed on my Windows system in P8 and have my Mac Excel files within my Mac environment open using my Office for Mac program installed on my Mac system?

Thanks,

Aventeren

2. aventeren

aventeren Member

SOLVED:

I opened the P8 Configuration settings. Under Options > Applications I unchecked "Share Mac applications with Windows" and also unchecked "Share Windows applications with Mac" (which kicked a Crystal mode is going to go away dialog box, which was fine with me). I then right clicked the Excel file that I wanted to open in my Windows environment and navigated to Windows Excel and then checked that I wanted that to be the default program. The file opened as expected in my P8 Windows environment. I then moved back over to my Mac and opened a Mac Excel file, and that file correctly opened using Mac Excel.

So I think I'm good.

Hopefully this post will help others in the future.

All best,

Aventeren