Parallels NOT Letting Me Use my Windows 7 Install Disk

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bobbyt, Aug 29, 2014.

1. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

My windows 7 VM has apparently become corrupt, so I'm trying to build a new one.

I tried using the DMG file I created of my Windows 7 install disk (the EXACT SAME DMG file I used to create the VM that is now corrupt) but Parallels will NOT let me use it. Dragging it over the parallels window shows a "no" symbol on the cursor.

So I inserted my original CD, the SAME AUTHENTIC windows 7 install CD I created the DMG file for, and Parallels does NOT recognize it and pretty much acts like it does NOT exist.

I have a second AUTHENTIC copy of the exact same disk that was purchased for a full PC, and that same disk is not recognized by Parallels. I even trie downgrading to Parallels 9 to no avail...

Anybody have any idea why parallels is deciding to fully ignore the fact that this disc exists??? Any ideas how I can go about installing windows as a result???

2. mmika

mmika Pro

1 Change VM boot order and make CD/DVD drive a first boot device.
    2 You can connect your physical driver or dmg image via menu or by editing virtual machine configuration.
    If you connect drive/image while VM is running, just choose VM reset afterward.

Do not use drag'n'drop or expect that VM will recognize your DVD automatically.
    There are a lot of cases when it won't do that.