how can i make a backup of all my Parallels Machines so i can reinstall OSX

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by novski, Sep 5, 2014.

1. novski

novski Bit poster

Hi
    I need to reinstall my OSX completely new. But i wold like to keep my Windows in Parallels. So im searching for a way to backup all my Parallels Machines and how to reinstall them after a new OSX.

How can i do that?

Best regards
    novski

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Novski,

Please back up your Virtual Machine in an external device.
    Search for .pvm in your Mac Finder , so your Virtual Machines will be displayed or you can even locate your Virtual Machine as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/117333 and move the .pvm files to an external device.

Hope this helps you!

3. novski

novski Bit poster

Hi, Thanks for that quick answer!

Will this file contain all my installed Windows Software?
    egg.. can i copy this .pvm file to the new OSX and Parallels installation and start work with my Windows Software without to install it again?

Best regards
    novski

4. After Hours

After Hours Member

Yes, your entire Windows (or whatever VM) environment is contained in that .pvm. I do this all the time when experimenting with different windows configs and sw. Duplicate the file, store on a spare hard drive, and you can mess with the original all you want. You may need to adjust your VM settings for the VM within parallels the next time you launch it, but all of the 'windows' environment stays with the pvm. Backups are a good thing, too.

5. novski

novski Bit poster

Perfect. Thanks for that Reply!
    best regards, novski