Parallels 10 Windows 7 - Reclaim Disk Space Corrupts VPC

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bobbyt, Sep 8, 2014.

1. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I ended up creating a clean Windows 7 image a week ago under parallels 10 because I began experiencing issues on my existing Windows 7 VPC after upgrading...

As of now I have a drive image I restored from Time Machine backup that appears to be fully valid, is fully upgraded and has almost nothing installed on it.

If I run checke disk against it, it comes back fine. If I then proceed to shut down the image, choose the option to reclaim disk space, I'm told I have 6.7 GB available to reclaim...

Upon reclaiming the space, I get forced into check disk which then proceeds to find a ton of drive problems. So many that it seems pointless to bother trying to use the disk.

If I then restore my backup to the drive, ALL WORKS FINE, that is unless I try to reclaim disk space, then the same problem repeats itself...

With the drive image I have I'm able to reproduce this pattern 100% of the time. IF I NEVER TRY TO RECLAIM DISK SPACE I cannot find anything wrong with the image or anything else...

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

There is one case scenario that you didn't refer, that is, if you restore the back up and then do chkdsk without reclaiming space, what happens?

Also, have you run Disk Utility's Verify Disk on your internal disk to see if there is any problem with the real disk.

Note: VPC? Virtual PC is a Windows program. The acronym here should be VM, Virtual Machine.

3. macchan

macchan Bit poster

4. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I thought I made that clear by pointing out when I restore the existing image and run check disk it is confirmed as being fine. I have a restored copy on my internal drive right now and running check disk against it passes with no issues.

I used the term VPC to represent a "Virtual PC", which in terminology might not be correct, but it's pretty much what I've called every Windows OS VM I've used since I was in college...

I ran disk utility to verify my disk a few hours ago, right after I used it to repair permissions (something I do a couple times a month)...

I have triple the drive space free that the VM occupies, and every time I restore it, I usually do it while the reclaimed corrupted version is sitting in my trash can (meaning the new copy ends up on totally new HD space). I'm able to reproduce the problem with a copy of my VM from Tuesday (which is when I created this new VM), and while running it off an external drive (to verify my internal drive isn't contributing)...

Again, as best I can tell if I do not run the tool to reclaim disk space, the VM has no issues, appears to work fine, and passes a check disk without issue...

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Then send a problem report.

6. TeemuR

TeemuR Bit poster

I have already reported the same bug on the ~first day PD10 came out. Not to mention there are other threads describing and complaining about exactly same bug? So PLEASE FIX THIS FATAL BUG ASAP or our company is switching to VMware instead of PD10.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

From my signature:

[NOTE] I'm a Product Expert, that doesn't mean I'm affiliated with or work for Parallels.

8. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi All,

Our developers are aware of this issue and are working on it. This issue will be resolved in the upcoming builds.
    Please subscribe to http://kb.parallels.com/122720 so once there is a new build, you will be notified.

9. Eric_Sherman

Eric_Sherman Bit poster

This happened to me. Then I thought "I'll just restore from Time Machine". That fails in a different way. Now I'm out of luck. That'll teach me to rely on Time Machine.