P10 markets AutoCAD but my 3D animation program doesn't work. Mouse goes crazy.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mr_q, Sep 8, 2014.

1. mr_q

mr_q Member

I am running Lightwave3D from Newtek and I can't use the mouse at all. It works, yes, but when I click to rotate the view or "tumble" it, the view spins like mad. It's like P10 is multiplying the mouse input by 100. I've tried all the mouse input options Parallels offers. Nothing affects this behavior.

The P10 devs can download a trial version of Lightwave to test if they wish to resolve this. www.lightwave3d.com

I'm running a Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit VM on my late model 15" 2013 MacBookPro using a $10 Logitech mouse.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  2. serv

serv Forum Maven

Have you tried VM Configuration > Hardware > Mouse & Keyboard > SmartMouse : Optimize for games?
    Have you tried connecting the mouse directly to Windows via Devices > External devices menu?

3. mr_q

mr_q Member

When I do that the Mouse Pointer vanishes and I can't get it back. I can see Windows icons and menus highlighting, letting me know its "there."

I did finally get it to display by restarting, however my keyboard stops working. I have no idea why is stops working. It's a wireless keyboard using a controller plugged in to a USB HUB. The hub then plugs in to my Mac. So then I tried plugging the wireless receiver in to Parallels, then the mouse. Problem is, once I do the keyboard, I can no longer un-trap the mouse to then plug the mouse in to Parallels. Question is, why does the mouse become trapped in Parallels when I plug the wireless keyboard in? THAT sounds like a USB Parallels bug.

We need hotkeys when inside the VM that Parallels can "see" to execute core features of Parallels. This way the user doesn't end up input trapped like I am when doing this testing. It's very frustrating. I have to do a song-and-dance with mouse or keyboard to shut Windows down and gain control again. I feel like a beta tester. Except for the other software I actually beta-test for, I didn't have to pay for it.

I feel like I should play a song at this point. :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  4. serv

serv Forum Maven

Does the pointer vanish when you set SmartMouse to Optimize for games or when you attach your mouse directly to the VM?
    When the mouse is in gaming mode you should be able to release it from Windows by pressing Ctrl-Alt, unless you've reassigned that shortcut of course.
    There may be some small delay before the pointer reappears when a mouse is attached to VM directly because the system re-configures the device, but nothing like complete vanish is expected.
    As for the keyboard being also trapped, does it share the receiver with the mouse? If yes, that would be expected when Windows takes full control of the receiver via USB.

Would you please help us and collect more details of the problem of vanishing pointer?
    First, open Window menu > Control Center. Bring up Parallels Desktop menu > Preferences, select Advanced tab and enable Troubleshooting: Use detailed log messages. Now, start your VM and please do whatever you have to to make the pointer vanish. Sorry you have to pass through this again, but this will help us figure it out. If you have to shut down window to regain control do so. It is important to generate a report with your VM running, so start Windows again, then choose Help > Report a problem from the menu and post report ID here.

5. mr_q

mr_q Member

The keyboard uses a wireless USB dongle, the mouse is directly plugged in to the USB port.

My mouse did not vanish this time. I enabled the auto detect for games. This time it worked. However I have a new issue to report. I did enable logging as well.

If you plug the mouse directly in to the VM, but then use CTRL-ALT to un-trap the mouse, the pointer vanishes from the VM but does not un-trap. Thus making it quite difficult to see where you are in the VM to shut it down. I had to use the keyboard to shutdown Windows. Upon doing this Parallels quit but did not return the mouse to OSX. I had to Force Quit Parallels as well as restart FINDER. Then my mouse pointer showed.

I'd like to attach he log file but do not know where it is located.

6. serv

serv Forum Maven

You don't need to attach logs manually. With your VM running, open Help menu and select Report a Problem. Parallels will package logs, send to our server and show you report ID number. Post this number here, we'll look into the report.

When you attach a mouse directly to VM as USB device it's not released via Ctrl-Alt. That short cut releases input focus (shared mice/keyboard, mouse pointer) from VM to OS X, not the devices. You can use the touchpad to navigate in OS X then.

I still think the setting SmartMouse: Optimize for games should work best for you. With this setting, the mouse will be captured into VM on a click and can be released with Ctrl-Alt.

7. mr_q

mr_q Member

Yes I am aware of what ctrl-alt does. What you're not understanding is that my mouse pointer vanishes. Even in OSX when doing that. Unless you mean to say that using the touch pad will reveal another OSX specific mouse pointer? I still see a bug here as even after force quitting parallels I have no mouse control in OSX.

I am also not in a position to use my touch pad as my MBP is "docked."

8. serv

serv Forum Maven

I've noticed that the pointer vanishes for you, but I don't understand the scenario yet. This is why I asked specifically:
    > Does the pointer vanish when you set SmartMouse to Optimize for games or when you attach your mouse directly to the VM?
    And I'm asking you to submit a Problem report so we could take a look into it, try to reproduce the exact conditions and pinpoint it in the code.
    The rest of my comments are meant to respond to your smaller questions in the lack of more information.

9. mr_q

mr_q Member

The next question you could ask is, "When does the pointer vanish?" Answer: When the mouse is connected to the VM directly and I press CTRL-ALT. The pointer vanishes from the VM and also from OSX. Clicking back in to the VM does make it return. Clicking in OSX does not make it return.