how to reduce the size of hdd file in MAc OS to the actual size of Windows C drive

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tami, Nov 23, 2008.

1. tami

tami Junior Member

my C drive is about 6-7GB. Mac Os usage of the VM however is 14GB! :(
    how do I salvage the space back? couldn't find any solution in the forums...

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please make sure the following:
    1. There is no snapshots
    2. You can use Parallels Image tools from /Applications/Parallels to compact image, after running Parallels Compressor

3. tami

tami Junior Member

compressor would compress the files. isn't it? i do not want to compress the files. i assume that the speed of windows will fall given the need to compress and uncompress.

can i just reduce the M to 8-10GB if the actual data on C drive is 6GB? without compression of files.

btw, i did go into image tools without compressor run, and i could not find any compacting option?

pl help. thanks.

4. John@Parallels

Do not run compressor in this case, perform defragmentation on Windows (there should be at least 15% free of disk space) and use Parallels Image Tools to compact

5. tami

tami Junior Member

6. tami

tami Junior Member

7. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Hello,

can you post the .pvs file of your virtual machine?

8. tami

tami Junior Member

can i send it you through private message? plus you wil have to tell me where to find it...

9. John@Parallels

It is pvs file, inside pvm bundle
    right click on pvm show package contents

10. tami

tami Junior Member

i found the file. does it have any identifable information? i am not comfortable posting it in the forum. can i send it to you somehow?

11. John@Parallels

Iti si virtual machine configuration, there is no data, which may reveal any personal information, of course you can send me in PM

12. John@Parallels

File seems to be correct
    Please right click on pvm, show package contents
    What can you see inside

Also you will see there hdd file, Please right click on it, show package contents
    What is there

13. tami

tami Junior Member

14. John@Parallels

Hm, it is very strange
    Please try to disable system restore in Windows, and also please paste Disk Management screenshot from Windows side here

15. tami

tami Junior Member

16. John@Parallels

Please Disk Management screenshot
    and also I need to see is NTFS compression checked on C: properties

17. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Parallels Compressor doesn't compress the virtual harddrive like zipping a file does, it just eliminates freespace and slackspace, a Virtual Harddisk will run at the same speed or faster after it was compressed (there's no decompression when it's running, this is not compression like .zip or .gz).

18. tami

tami Junior Member

can you tell me what you mean by disk management? also pl tell me how to get the NTFS property screenshot. i have not enabled anything by my actions.

@Specimen: can you tell me how to run compressor, if compressor does not zip the entire drive? may be that will help.

thanks!

19. John@Parallels

20. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I'm talking about Parallels Compressor here, the thing run from the top menu Virtual Machine>Run Parallels Compressor. Maybe I misread what you guys meant by compression.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008