Costs, upgrades and full version.......

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by eurisko, Sep 18, 2014.

?

Are you happy with the number of updates/cost of Parallels Desktop upgrades?

Poll closed Sep 28, 2014.
  1. Yes (lot of updates and happy to pay)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No (lot of updates but costs can get excessive)

100.0%
  1. eurisko

eurisko Bit poster

I've just checked my business accounts and I have upgraded Parallels twice within 12 months. Firstly from 7 to 8 and then from 8 to 9. Now we're being asked to stump up yet another 50 bucks (or whatever in your currency) for the luxury of being able to upgrade to Yosemite when it is available.

My business cannot sustain 3 upgrades per year/18 months for virtual machine software. Bearing in mind there is plenty of other software that requires maintaining on my work machine (I work alone), I will be looking to use perfectly adequate alternatives. For development work on my server I use ESXi 5.5 and on my Mac (and PC laptop) I use Oracle's Virtual Box (which is being upgraded all the time).

For business who need this for development, it's an impractical cost when other alternatives are available. If my client requires a genuine upgrade then they can afford the cost, I can't for infrequent testing and development.

Even at the current discounted upgrade cost I can't justify upgrading when there are alternatives. Yes, it will prevent me from properly testing Yosemite but I am sure that VirtualBox will get there for me to use. I cannot see any other major enhancements to justify the cost. Even a quoted speed increase is a questionable assertion as it's the end user experience at the end of the day that matters. Obviously I don't want software with bugs in it so that's why the other options are there.

Parallels, I suggest you rethink your pricing for IT Consultants and software developers as if I upgraded now and got whacked early next year with yet another upgrade then I wouldn't use the product at all.

Eurisko

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You are not required to upgrade every year, Parallels supports each version with updates for two years, and the upgrade offer is always available for the last two versions. My advice is to upgrade every 2 versions.