Quit Parallels Desktop for Mac on VM shutdown

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Specimen, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I would like to have in PDM 4 the possibility of quitting Parallels Desktop.app automatically when I shut down a VM (not only close the window but also quitting Parallels Desktop.app) like it was on PDM 3 when the VM was started from a shortcut/alias.

2. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

I've passed it to our developers. It will be taken into consideration, check Parallels web-site for updates

3. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

I actually would like a Preference setting allowing me to set Parallels to Quit when a VM Window closes and there are no other opened VM windows left. So there would have NO new setting to add to the VM themselves. Only to the application as a whole.

With such a system I can set a VM to close its window when stopped and can set Parallels to close itself when the last VM window close.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Thank you, estrelnikov, for taking my request in consideration.

Yes, I agree with you, Olivier, although I didn't specify it, I wouldn't want Parallels to quit if I'm shutting down one VM and there are others still open, your suggestion seems to be, for me, a good practical implementation of what I'm asking here.

5. skytalon@gmail.com

skytalon@gmail.com Bit poster

I was looking for that. I am sad to see it go. Hopefully, the developers will bring it back.

6. Ben Thomasian

Ben Thomasian Bit poster

I work at a school and not being able to set the Parallels Desktop automatically like it did in version 3 is the only reason why I cannot upgrade to it. Tell your developers that please! I can't ask 1st graders to make sure they quit the application after I have already asked then to Shut Down and as a run of thumb, never take features away with an update as that would then be a downgrade! Just my 2 cents.

7. totem

totem Bit poster

Keep in mind that you are complicating the teaching by utilizing 2 operating systems. You tell them to shut down the one, but you need to teach them what to do with the other.

Why the need to quit Parallels? What will it matter if it is running with no guest OSs running? Just trying to understand.