can't get internet to work

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by henrynw, Dec 20, 2008.

1. henrynw

henrynw Bit poster

Hello,

I've just bought a new Macbook and installed Parallels 4. I then installed Vista and everything seems great, except that Windows Vista has no networking devices.

I've gone into configuration options in Parallels and tried changing around to the different network options, but nothing seems to work. I'm running off my wireless card for internet access.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a new mac user so I'm still getting used to how things all tie in together.

Henry

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hello, Henry
    Could you please send a problem report using menu of Parallels desktop "Help"->"Report a Problem" and post here its number?

3. henrynw

henrynw Bit poster

report id:

Report ID is: 23594

Thanks.
    Henry

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Just in case, you need to install Parallels Tools, to get network driver

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Yep, John is right,
    Do you have Parallels Tools installed?

6. Krista

Krista Bit poster

i'm having a similar issue - any suggestions to fix?

I have Parallels Tools installed (even reinstalled from Parallels Desktop) but still can't connect to the internet. From the Mac side I can connect to my wireless network but even though I've tried the different configuration settings listed in the Parallels KB nothing works. I've put a problem ticket in (24272?) but does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can try?
    Thank you!

7. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Messages in the logs of report are saying that for some reason there is a wrong configuration for Parallels network:
    (just in case, it is the message
    Dec 23 11:16:52 HW-0022413b3402 prl_naptd[102]: en2: NAT for 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0)

Please open the menu "Parallels Desktop"->"Preferences", then select "Network Preferences" and press the "Restore Defaults" button in network preferences.

Then please restart the Virtual machine and if problem will still exist, please send one more problem report.

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

And a couple more things...

1) Please disable "Internet Sharing" for Parallels Adapter in the Mac OS X Preferences.

This can be done in Mac OS X System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing. Preferably, Internet Sharing should be disabled at all (just turn off it by unchecking)

2) You VM is now works in Bridged Networking mode. Please make it be in the Shared Networking. To do it, please open the VM Configuration (either button "Configure", or from menu "Virtual Machine"->Configure), click on "Network Adapter" and choose the "Shared Networking" in the combo box