BeOS

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kwojniak, Apr 12, 2006.

Tags:
  1. kwojniak

kwojniak Junior Member

I downloaded BeOS from BeBits (http://www.bebits.com/app/2680) and tried to get it to work. I installed it under my XP Pro VM and copied the Floppy.img (from C:\beos\Floppy.img) to the host Mac and connected that through Parallels. The floppy boots, but I get a kernel panic, and an error message saying it can't find a BeOS volume to boot from. See pic:
    [​IMG]

Any ideas? I'd really like to get BeOS working as I've never used it before, but maybe it's just too old :(

BTW I'm using beta 3 on a Mac mini Core Solo (512MB, 10.4.6) and "Virtualization mode: Intel VT-x"

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  2. angstmann

angstmann Bit poster

Well, it isn't as old as Windows 3.1, so in theory it should work. It was always very compatible on most Intel systems I used it on a few years ago. I loved BeOS and I'd love to be able to try it through Parallels. Either BeOS or the more up to date YellowTAB Zeta would be excellent.

Any plans to support this?

3. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

For the moment BeOS is not supported as guest OS (wich doesn't mean it surely can't boot, but means that it was not in testing plan, etc.)
    Full support for BeOS is in our long-term plan for versions 3.0+ of our virtualization engine.

4. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

As a former Be employee, I'd like to be able to run BeOS too. I miss it sometimes, but don't feel like setting up a PC just for that. :)

5. constant

constant Forum Maven

My vote is the Parallels team spend their time on things more worthwhile.

6. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

What, more worthwhile than considering customer requests?

7. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

It's called "prioritization"! They can't do everything - consider how many more sales you would get by better support of BeOS at the expense of leaving something out of the Windows support?
    (Hint - the answer is going to be a large negative number)

8. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

What's missing from Windows support? It crashes and locks up on a regular basis, so it seems to be working perfectly. :)

9. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

OK, I admit that was snarky. Still, I'm certainly not proposing ignoring Windows support. However, if there's a problem supporting a reasonably standard CD bootloader such as the one on BeOS, there's clearly an issue with CD booting support in general.

10. sikosis

sikosis Bit poster

bah ... you've obviously never used BeOS ...

Another vote for BeOS ... then I can try out the test images of Haiku as well. :cool:

11. psychoboogie

psychoboogie Junior Member

fat32

I got that error too. needs fat32 partition, but it will load up boot screen and hang at the end. So no go for now.

12. frankps

frankps Bit poster

Haiku - A working client OS

Today we posted on IsComputerOn that Karl vom Dorff, from Haiku Bounties, decided to go ahead and have a shot at booting Haiku, in OS X, via Parallels Workstation.

There are basically only two things that you have to do:
    • Change the file extension from .image to .hdd
    • Resize the image with Parallels Image Tool

Haiku booted prefectly, and simply felt mighty fast under Parallels compared to Qemu.

My iMac Intel Core Duo is at work, but as I also have bought a license for Parallels Workstation for Windows/Linux, I gave it a shot:

[​IMG]

Haiku images are built on a daily basis and can be downloaded from here for those of you who want to try.

13. VIPv6

VIPv6 Bit poster

BeOS (Zeta) on Intel Mac Mini

That image of Haiku running in Parallels is inspiring. I bought BeOS 5 back in the day, installed it on a Pentium MMX 233mhz that could no longer run Windows. I used it for a couple years before MS killed Be Inc. Now, I own Zeta. And, I can't wait until Haiku is ready for the general public. Gotta love everyone working to keep this OS alive.

I would love to get my copy of Zeta up and running on my new Intel Mac Mini. So, here is another vote for supporting BeOS. :cool:

14. kwojniak

kwojniak Junior Member

Here's how to get Haiku to work:

• Download a nightly build
    • Rename the haiku.image file to haiku.hdd
    • Use ImageTool to resize the hdd file to 120MB.
    • Create a new VM in Parallels, with Guest OS Type as Windows.
    • Set the Hard Drive to the haiku.hdd file that you downloaded.

And it should work after that!

[​IMG]

15. kpop

kpop Member

Haiku networking? Zeta?

Installation of Haiku was easy, but how on earth do I get the internet connection to work (using host-only, which works fine with e.g. Ubuntu)? Looked at FAQs and help file to no avail. I could not find a web browser in the applications list either.

Zeta seems to be a more mature BeOS derivative (albeit not free), any success w. Parallels?

16. VIPv6

VIPv6 Bit poster

Of Course

Thank you very much for the clear instructions for running Haiku using Parallels. I'm installing it today.

Of course Zeta is further developed than Haiku. Zeta is a continued development of the original BeOS, licensed from Palm. See the following links:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/zeta-1.0.ars/2
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beos

Haiku has gone to great lengths to create original code from scratch so that it can be true Open Source. I've bought Zeta, but I fully support Haiku and other Open Source efforts. As long as the BeOS/Zeta rights are owned by a company with stockholders, it's fate will always be uncertain. Open Source can take on a life of its own.

The BeOS is dead. Long live the BeOS!!!!

17. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

Is there a way to get Haiku image that has devel tools? gcc, make etc?

18. frankps

frankps Bit poster

No Haiku image with Dev tools

Hi,

no there is no Haiku image with Dev tools yet.

The nightly Haiku images are only for testing and are not ment for development or longer use at the moment.

19. dolbie

dolbie Bit poster

Has anyone tried to put BeOS on a VM with the new Beta?

20. Zakalwe

Zakalwe Bit poster

I have tried to run several nightly builds of Haiku with the beta2 build of Parallels, but I have failed so far.
    I only see the BIOS POST and then a black screen with the (text)cursor in the middle of the screen. Parallels is at 100% CPU, but nothing happens.