I have been hard at work for some months now on a utility for Parallels Desktop for the Macintosh. This utility is called VM2Go and provides the following functions:
- Lists all of the virtual machines on your Mac
- Shows the actual disk space used per machine
- Allows the transfer of a Virtual Machine and the associated virtual hard disks to an iPod or other removable media.
- On transfer of machines it will adjust the hard drive references so that the VM will load and run regardless of location as an optional feature.
- It will delete a virtual machine and its referenced virtual hard drives. Be careful with this as it does NOT put it in the trashcan.
- It will backup to DVD-R or CD-R your virtual machine and the related virtual hard disks. Sadly this version does not span DVDs so if your machine is greater than 9GB you'll need to compress via the Parallels Compressor or wait until I one day in the very distant future add disk spanning. Actually the idea here is to backup a machine after a Guest OS is installed so you can restore a fresh machine in the future.
- It will restore from DVD to a folder of your choosing.
There is a very preliminary user guide with this release. The program icon is temporary and so is the website that is hosting it. Help is not in this version yet either.
Please let me know your thoughts. You can send feedback to email@example.com. This beta will expire on 12/31/06.
Here is the current URL:
Please feel free to mirror this file if you like.
Please do not contact Parallels Support about this application. They are not responsible for any damage (not that I know of any problems) that you may cause using this application. You're on your own--though if you find a bug or would like to suggest a feature I am happy to listen!