Thread: cannot install ANY software w VPS - PLEASE HELP

Kilo Poster

Default cannot install ANY software w VPS - PLEASE HELP

oohhh I'm about to go nuts.

Win 03 Server SP1, not sure of the Virtuozzo version. host is goDaddy

cannot install McAfee Viruscan 8.0i (could not contact filter driver. mcshield.exe service won't start as result)
    cannot install Perfect Disk7 (cannot communicate with PDengine)
    cannot install Alcohol120 (install error)
    cannot install DAEMON tools (setup on reboot never happens)

For now if I could get some antivirus and virtual CD software to get my SQL 2000 Server installed I'd be VERY VERY happy.

Heck, if anyone was willing to say a few words I'd be perky.

ahhh, a long painful 5 day journey that I hope ends soon on a positive note.

Someone please educate me on software installs on Virtuozzo.

Kilo Poster

Just to clarify I am not looking for support on this software but the reasons why programs won't install or rather work after they are installed.

I assume they are not getting the access they need to run.

The apps your installing are probalby to dependant on hardware drivers or low level disk/system calls. I dont think Virtozzo was designed for these apps.
    Smedia Hosting

Kilo Poster

yeah I was getting at that.

I just turned off DEP from boot.ini file

well I have to install SQL 2000 server no matter what and I think I need to either find some virtual cd software that works or compress the cd someway that i can install it.

any ideas, DAEMON and Alcohol does not work

This is a bit of work but it will install if you mount the CD over the internet.

1) get you home pc direclty attached to the internet so it has a public IP, put it direct to your modem.

2) set sharing for the CD

3) disable any firewall on your home PC/Router, get your home IP from www.whatismyip.com

4) go to the VPS, search for your home IP, than mount the drive once it finds it. Left Click mount drive.

Install MSSQL as usual, ive used this technique in the past, it takes an hour, but it works.
    Smedia Hosting

If you were on our network we could also drop a CD in locally for you, of course you would need the MSSQL licnese to install. If your not bound to a contract, we can have you up and running tomorrow.
    Smedia Hosting

Kilo Poster

Thanks. I think I scared the account rep off as I have not heard from him.

can you offer a quote or point me to your webpage via pm?

are you http://www.smedia.info?

Default Myabe I can help

You can try using WINRAR (www.rarlab.com ). It opens most ISO images and you can extract the inside information. you can also extract the CD contents with ISOBUSTER or WINISO. Daemon Tools or alcohol 120% are to use the CD in runtime, but with those other tools, you can extract the entire CD contents off the CD Image. ;)

Regards,

Arnau MarcÚ
    www.silicontower.net

Kilo Poster

Thanks!

yeah I ended up using ISOBuster but I was just not sure if a SQL install wanted a mounted type CD - but the install seemed to work fine.

I learned that Virtuozzo will not allow kernel drivers and such so you're very limited on what you can install.

thanks again!