"Print Screen" in Windows on a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by NeptuneNancy, Dec 15, 2006.

1. NeptuneNancy

NeptuneNancy Bit poster

Since there's no Printscreen key on my MacBook Pro keyboard, how do I do a screen capture from within Windows using this keyboard?

I am able to go into MacOS and using Shift-CMD-4 do a capture, paste it into the text editor and save it in RTF. I can then open this file/folder from within Windows, and open the graphic using Paint Shop Pro 11, doing with it whatever I want. So, I am able to do a screen capture still, but I'm just hoping for a simpler way from within Windows. I do like the way Mac handles it though, allowing you to drag over just the selection you like. Neat!

The Shift-CMD-4 combo does give me the crosshairs and allows me to "select" an area for capture from within Windows, or at least appears to, but when I go to past this "selection" in Paint, there appears to be nothing in the clipboard to paste.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks~

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

get and install Irfanview on the Windows machine

http://www.irfanview.com/

it has superior screen capture options too

all or part , with or with outcursor

Hugh W

3. rcardona2k

rcardona2k Member

I use the XP on-screen keyboard: Start > Run > osk

This works for window-mode screen capturing. It would not be good for fullscreen obviously as the on-screen keyboard would obscure part of the screen.

For most quick things though, like the above poster says, I use IrfanView.

4. lithe951

lithe951 Member

I just use Grab and save the file somewhere the VM can get to it. Makes it easy.

5. esquilo22

esquilo22 Junior Member