Change dock icons?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ajcooper, Jan 2, 2007.

1. ajcooper

ajcooper Member

I've got Quicken added to my OSX dock so I can quick start it. However, it's the Quicken Launcher which does not have an icon. Is there a way of changing the icon?

2. nivenh

nivenh Member

download ResHacker and add an icon to the application. it shoulud then show up on the mac side of the fence.

3. johnoyler

johnoyler Member

Yes.

Open a terminal.

From the terminal, run this command:

open ~/Library/Parallels/[name of VM]/Windows\ Applications/[name of Quicken plus .app]/Contents/Resources/WinAppHelper.icns

(you may need the Xcode developer tools for that to work)

Icon Composer should open up. Paste a 128x128 transparency image (TIFF seems preferable to PNG) into the big square, and into each of the smaller squares. It will ask you about extracting alpha masks, say yes to that. Then from the menu, choose file->save.

The icon may not change immediately. Once it did for me, for several others, it seems to take up to several reboots. Some claim force-quitting finder will speed this up, I had no luck with it. It won't change at all though (probably) until you've started that icon on the dock. Don't worry, after a day or two at most, it will change.

The hard part is finding 128x128 alpha icons for windows apps. I've found one for ie6, made another for ie7... we oughtta start a repository of them somewhere. I'm fairly talented with Inkscape, I'd contribute. (I was thinking about making a cmd.exe icon, if anyone wanted it...)

4. johnoyler

johnoyler Member

5. ajcooper

ajcooper Member

Thanks guys - I'll give it a go.

6. KingGeek

KingGeek Bit poster

Transparency and Crop

That would be really great if you could fix the icon. I don't have Photoshop or any paint style applications. I would really appreciate it if the offer still stands.

Thanks!