How to install and use OS/2 (eComStation 1.1)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Leauki, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

Thread was moved from "General Discussions > User Solutions and Workarounds" to "Parallels Desktop for Mac > Installation and Configuration in Mac OS ".
    Stacey M

I only tried this on a Mac, but I think it will be the same procedure on all versions of Parallels.

A list of useful tips:

1. Turn off Intel VT (hardware virtualisation support) in the VM for the installation. The installer will not work properly (it will hang after a while) if VT is turned on.

2. Turn on Intel VT in the VM after installation or configure OS/2 to run in protected mode only (config.sys protonly=yes). DOS and WinOS/2 VMs will not work in OS/2 if Intel VT is switched off for some reason.

That's it. I wish I had known these from the beginning!

Questions:

1. WinOS/2 fullscreen is not in sync with the mouse pointer. Anybody know how to fix this?

2. How can I explain to OS/2 that my screen resolution is (whatever the widescreen iMac's screen resolution is)?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2007
  2. MennoJoshua

MennoJoshua Bit poster

You would need a driver that would work in plain old Windows 3.1 with Parallels. I don't think any such beast exists. In full-screen mode, Win-OS/2 has complete control of the hardware, although there is a GRADD display driver for Win-OS/2 that allows Win-OS/2 to use the same display driver the OS/2 desktop is using (hence why it works at all).

Just run Win-OS/2 in a window!

You could try installing Sci-Tech Snap Graphics and see if it has a resolution similar to what you want to use.

Otherwise you can download the GENGRADD source code from the OS/2 DDK and add the resolutions you want. I did this back in 1997. (Obviously this is not simple.)