Parallels Team: Plz make a cube transition to Full Screen in shipping version!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by oxonian, Apr 19, 2006.

1. oxonian

oxonian Member

As others have posted, by installing 3rd party apps like, eg, Virtue Desktops, you can get a cool transition from OSX to XP to amaze your friends.

Here's a shot made by a guy called mithras on another forum:

[​IMG]

(Of course this doesn't bare too close an inspection, at least on a MacBook, until XP can run at LCD native res).

But, this is a standard type of transition that seems to be used by several apps (inc. of course OSX for fast user switching) so I *imagine* that it is something that Parallels could put in to the Workstation app directly. Which would be very cool, since then I wouldn't need to have fancy 3rd party apps running just to enable it.

Of course there are many more important things to sort out (inc. an alternative mapping for right click on laptops, plz :) but this would certainly be something cool. The effect on the people looking over my shoulder in the coffee room this morning left me in no doubt of that!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  2. Tony Arnold

Tony Arnold Member

I'm the author of Virtue - if you guys at Parallels are interested in how this is done, drop me a line - I'll provide you with commented code.

3. stingerman

stingerman Junior Member

Hey, I'm interested though I don't work at parallels. Can I see?

4. pfb

pfb Junior Member

Hey Tony!

Virtue and PWS... Two apps that make my new MacBook pro a joy to own!

5. david

david Member

6. Tommo_UK

Tommo_UK Junior Member

Oxonian,

Thanks so much for the tip! And for pointing me towards Virtue. I don't know how I managed without that little app, now that I have it installed!

Tony Arnold, thanks for Virtue too :D

7. mithras

mithras Junior Member

Virtue Desktops is open source, of course, so you can look anytime you want. I think what Tony is offering to the Parallels team is no-strings-attached code, without the GPL requirements.

8. loughkb@yahoo.com

loughkb@yahoo.com Member

Oh wow, that's pretty! I've got a buddy stopping by later tonight to see what all the fuss is about with this virtual machine thing I keep going on about. Now I've got a really nice way to knock his socks off!

Tony, Virtue is the first multi desktop app I've seen that actually works cleanly and in a way that I feel fits with OSX's intuitive flavor. Maybe apple will buy it from you for inclusion in leopard and you can retire. (grin)

Everybody should try this with parallels. Run virtue, set it for the cube rotation, put your parallels VM on the other desktop in full screen mode and switch. You will smile, I garuntee it!

9. casioguy

casioguy Member

Tony, a quick note. Do you know that the website virtuedesktops.info is down? And I could not update my copy of Virtue directly either when I launch it as the connection failed.

Fantastic piece of software, if I may say so.

10. oxonian

oxonian Member

Can we get a word from a Parallels guy to see if this could be done?

11. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Yes, it could be done. Actually, this effect is already implemented (thanks to Tony Arnold for the implementation hints). You will get this in the next public version.

12. vamp07

vamp07 Member

It's posts like these that make me love parallels. So many developers would not answered a question like that.

13. Martin

Martin Member

Only Microsoft's forum supporting VirtualPC was better.
    :p
    Just kidding :D

14. kevco

kevco Junior Member

Seriously, I really like you guys. I've been using the betas since the day beta1 was released. I finally decided to pre-order even though I was hesitant at first. Initially I wanted to hold out to see what MS and VMWare would put out but the more I thought about it, I like supporting a smaller company that is so responsive to its customers.

15. vamp07

vamp07 Member

I cant see what the big guys can do that would be significantly better then this. Faster? I doubt it, at least not in a perceivable way.

16. kevco

kevco Junior Member

Well, I don't mean to take the thread too far offtopic but VPC has basic support for undoing changes to the virtual hard drive. From what I understand VMWare has very extensive support for this.

Also, my company has VPC disk images of our current standardized WinXP desktop images and it might be nice to be able to use these on my MacBook for work at home occasionally.

17. oxonian

oxonian Member

kevco, you're right that there are many features one could wish for.

But this thread is about the cube transtition and I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of people saying

WOOT! OUTSTANDING, PARALLELS, QUITE OUTSTANDING!

You just got my preorder. And I never, ever, preorder software ;-)

Maximum kudos to Tony Arnold also, for helping make it happen.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  18. vamp07

vamp07 Member

The way vmware saves a deltas is cool although I have never had a need for it. It's so easy to save these images that there are many ways to accomplish the same thing. I will say that I suspect saving that vmware session is faster because it only records the deltas for the session so you can get in and out of the program quicker. Cool stuff but nothing that would make me jump ship.

19. mithras

mithras Junior Member

Kickass guys, you know just how to tickle us Mac users' funnybones.

20. maxcorreo

maxcorreo Bit poster