Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Bluetooth support on virtual machines w/ Parallels Desktop for Mac?

  1. #1
    Bit Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default Bluetooth support on virtual machines w/ Parallels Desktop for Mac?

    Hi,

    I'm using NOKIA E61, Symbian Series 60 3rd based cell phone.

    This E61 can synchronize with outlook through bluetooth, but does Parallels Desktop support bluetooth on virtual machines?

    MacBook has built-in bluetooth, so is it possible to use that bluetooth from Windows on Parallels?

    Thanks,
    Ken



  2. #2
    Tera Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    810

    Default

    EDIT: I stand corrected.
    Last edited by darkone; Feb 13, 2007 at 04:19 AM.



  3. #3

    Default

    Hello, kenken

    Yes, you may use built-in bluetooth adapter, but you need drivers for it.

    The easiest way to get those drivers is:
    1. Download and install latest Apple Boot Camp from http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
    2. Browse to Macintosh HD->Applications->Utilities
    3. Right-click the "Boot Camp Assistant" and select "Show Package Contents".
    4. Go to Contents->Resources and click the DiskImage.dmg to mount it.
    5. Find the "Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe" and copy inside your VM.
    6. Run the file. In a short while, all necessary drivers will be installed. Reboot

    PS: We can't redistribute Apple software, that is why you don't have bluetooth drivers by default.
    Best regards,
    Archy



  4. #4
    Tera Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    810

    Default

    how do you use this device in Parallels then ? I installed the mac drivers package a couple weeks ago to get isight working. How do you enable the Bluetooth adapter in XP running under PDM ?

    I dont see a bluetooth device in the Devices list, neither do i see any control panel applet for it. ?
    Last edited by darkone; Feb 13, 2007 at 04:57 AM.



  5. #5
    Kilo Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Also, if you have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, will they continue to function if you enable bluetooth in Parallels? My gut feeling is no, but I'd love confirmation.



  6. #6
    Mega Poster
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    153

    Default

    I am using build 1970 without any problems. I have a bluetooth enabled keyboard and mouse and did not need to do or install anything for it to work in Parallels.
    24: iMac: 2.93Ghz: 4GB Ram: 640GB HDD: 500GB TM backup HDD: Mac OS X 10.5.8: Parallels v4.0 (build 3844) with WinXP Pro and now, TV ;)



  7. #7
    Kilo Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajay
    I am using build 1970 without any problems. I have a bluetooth enabled keyboard and mouse and did not need to do or install anything for it to work in Parallels.
    My bluetooth mouse and keyboard work fine with Parallels as well. My question is if you enable the bluetooth module in Parallels, won't the VM take it over completely? Won't my mouse and keyboard stop working because the bluetooth module is now being controlled by the VM instead of OSX? I'm asking because I would think it is similar to how USB works....if Parallels has control of a device, OSX can't use it.



  8. #8
    Tera Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    810

    Default

    bluetooth keyboards and mice work due to the way Parallels handles human interface devices. notice in windows how they dont show up as bluetooth devices. we're talking here about non HID devices that require bluetooth. cellphones, bluetooth headsets (tho this might work as an HID, ive not tried) etc etc



  9. #9
    Kilo Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkone
    bluetooth keyboards and mice work due to the way Parallels handles human interface devices. notice in windows how they dont show up as bluetooth devices. we're talking here about non HID devices that require bluetooth. cellphones, bluetooth headsets (tho this might work as an HID, ive not tried) etc etc
    I understand that, but if Parallels and the VM take over the bluetooth module won't all bluetooth devices register with the VM instead of OSX? As far as I know it can't work like USB where some USB devices can be registered with OSX and some are registered with the VM. I have a feeling it's all or none.



  10. #10
    Tera Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    810

    Default

    indeed, which is why i'm confused at Archys post that installing the bootcamp drivers in Xp will enable bluetooth under PDM. My edited post at #2 originally said "no, you cant" at first, but then Archy claims you can... but I dont think that is true ?



  11. #11

    Default

    Haven't played with bluetooth yet, but my bluetooth keyboard/mouse are paired with my Macbook itself. As such I don't think the VM would be able to 'steal' them away. If that were the case my wife's identically equipped Macbook would be duking it out with mine all the time. :D



  12. #12
    Kilo Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walkerjs
    Haven't played with bluetooth yet, but my bluetooth keyboard/mouse are paired with my Macbook itself. As such I don't think the VM would be able to 'steal' them away. If that were the case my wife's identically equipped Macbook would be duking it out with mine all the time. :D
    It's not that the VM would "steal" the mouse and keyboard. It's the the VM would be in control of the bluetooth module (ie the card inside the computer that provides bluetooth connectivity). And if the VM has control of the module, OSX doesn't. So it doesn't matter if the mouse and keyboard are paired to your computer....OSX may no longer think it even has a bluetooth module. Kind of like when you connect a USB printer in a VM....OSX has no idea it's there.

    We won't know for sure until someone actually installs the WinXP drivers for the bluetooth module and reports back, or if the Parallels team decides to clear this up.

    **UPDATE**
    Ok, I went ahead and installed the bluetooth drivers. In order to get bluetooth working you need to select "Apple - Wireless" from the USB device menu. Once you do this, the VM takes over the bluetooth module and you WILL lose your bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I pulled out a USB mouse and keyboard so I could continue working. I tried to pair my bluetooth mouse in the WinXP VM. The pairing took and XP saw my mouse, but the Parallels mouse synchronization tool prevents it from working....you can't see the pointer on screen, but you can see context menus when you right-click.

    Conclusion....those of us with BT mice and keyboards CANNOT use bluetooth in a practical way within a VM UNLESS you're willing to give up Parallels tools.
    Last edited by stoli412; Feb 13, 2007 at 06:02 PM.



  13. #13

    Default Thanks so much

    **UPDATE**
    Ok, I went ahead and installed the bluetooth drivers. In order to get bluetooth working you need to select "Apple - Wireless" from the USB device menu. Once you do this, the VM takes over the bluetooth module



    The combo of making the drivers disk in Bootcamp and this option of choosing the wireless solved my bluetooth serial issue. Thanks so much.

    One more question since you sound so knowledgable. On my pc the bluetooth symbol turned green when it was connected, is this possible with this configuration?

    Second, my bluetooth symbol is no longer up by the time on my toolbar? I have the box checked to show, but it is not there any longer.



  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stoli412
    Conclusion....those of us with BT mice and keyboards CANNOT use bluetooth in a practical way within a VM UNLESS you're willing to give up Parallels tools.
    Interesting, you are correct. Not only that, but I was unable to have Parallels give me back my Apple - Wireless while the VM was running, requiring me to shut down the VM before I could get my BT mouse and keyboard. Fortunately a Macbook has a built-in keyboard/trackpad to be able to do that shutting down thing (and I'm not about to give the VM the built-in keyboard/trackpad.) Once the VM was shutdown and I quit from Parallels I was able to get my BT keyboard/mouse back.

    Yeah, that kind of sucks. Oh well, the only bluetooth device I have that I'd care to use with Windows is an old iPaq, and I think I'll be using that with my employer supplied computers (my personal PDA is a Palm with no bluetooth that I sync USB to iCal and Address Book, which keeps it separate from my work life.) Can't have everything I suppose!



  15. #15
    Bit Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archy
    Hello, kenken

    Yes, you may use built-in bluetooth adapter, but you need drivers for it.

    The easiest way to get those drivers is:
    1. Download and install latest Apple Boot Camp from http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
    2. Browse to Macintosh HD->Applications->Utilities
    3. Right-click the "Boot Camp Assistant" and select "Show Package Contents".
    4. Go to Contents->Resources and click the DiskImage.dmg to mount it.
    5. Find the "Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe" and copy inside your VM.
    6. Run the file. In a short while, all necessary drivers will be installed. Reboot

    PS: We can't redistribute Apple software, that is why you don't have bluetooth drivers by default.
    Hi Archy,

    Thanks for your instruction.

    I did exactlly you described here, so Windows seemed to install the driver correctly.

    Then, would you please tell me what should I do?

    I tried;

    Devices - USB - Apple Wireless

    The message appears; "USB device you are trying to connect to the vm is being used by another process. ..."


    Well, do you know what I should do as next step?

    Thanks,
    Ken



  16. #16

    Default

    Hello Ken,

    We haven't had problems with "Wait 5-10 seconds..." on MacBooks ever.
    It seems that your Bluetooth adapter is used by Mac. Try to turn Bluetooth off, restart VM and connect bluetooth to it again.

    Best regards,
    Archy
    Best regards,
    Archy



  17. #17
    Bit Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archy
    Hello Ken,

    We haven't had problems with "Wait 5-10 seconds..." on MacBooks ever.
    It seems that your Bluetooth adapter is used by Mac. Try to turn Bluetooth off, restart VM and connect bluetooth to it again.

    Best regards,
    Archy
    Yes, I did turn off bluetooth on Mac, and restart vm.
    By the way, I am using 1970, not 3150.

    Should I use 3150?

    Thanks,
    Ken



  18. #18

    Default

    Ken,

    On 1970 bluetooth adapter and many other devices causes "Wait for 5-10 seconds..."error.

    Bluetooth started working properly on build 3150 RC2. Please use it.

    Best regards,
    Archy
    Best regards,
    Archy



  19. #19

    Default

    Howdy; thanks to everyone on these forums. I just got a new phone (Nokia 6265i) and was able to get it syncing with my XP Pro VM (build 3186) via bluetooth.

    Download the bootcamp package from Apple, then dig around inside it until you find the "Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe" file. Install into your VM and reboot. Then choose Apple - Wireless under your USB attachment options in Parallels; the VM will find your bluetooth devices without a problem.

    My macbook pro also sees the Nokia without any problem; file transfers are a breeze from either host.

    - - = Allen



  20. #20

    Default New Build Tools installed Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator

    I upgraded to build 3188 and when I click to turn on Apple Wireless, Windows installed Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator and now my bluetooth will not work. I have to devices shown under radios in the Device Manager. Please help.



Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •