Make Parallels auto-quit when closing last program

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Emulatelepath, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Emulatelepath

Emulatelepath Junior Member

Hi, when running in Coherence mode, I would ideally like to forget Parallels is there. On the Mac I can do this when opening a program. I click the program in question (say Microsoft Money) on the dock, and I just see a 'Starting Windows' pop up which I can live with, then Money opens.

The problem comes when I quit Money. At that point, I am done with the Windows program, and therefore am done with Windows & Parallels. I don't want it running in the background using the RAM it has been associated, and seeing Windows icons on the Mac desktop title bar.

But I have to not only quit the Windows app, but also then right-click Parallels and choose Quit, then watch the full-screen Windows shutdown or suspend screen flicking about.

Is there no way to have Parallels start silently, but also auto-quit completely silently when closing the last Windows app off the screen?

2. rain bow

rain bow Bit poster

pret auto
    Hi Emulatelepath. That's quite a big question for me

3. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

Hello Emulatelepath,

At present, Parallels only has the option to close Parallels whenever you shut down Windows.
    You need to atleast go through the shut down process to close Parallels.

Thank you.

4. Ben Thomasian

Ben Thomasian Bit poster

I work at a school and not being able to set the Parallels Desktop automatically like it did in version 3 is the only reason why I cannot upgrade to it. Tell your developers that please! I can't ask 1st graders to make sure they quit the application after I have already asked then to Shut Down and as a run of thumb, never take features away with an update as that would then be a downgrade! Just my 2 cents.

5. Emulatelepath

I have found lately that when I just Quit Parallels, and it puts Windows to sleep, when I next load it and it resumes Windows XP, Win is very sluggish and can take minutes before I can load a program.

1) Is there a known fix to this?
    2) How do I achieve what you describe above, as a clean shutdown seems to work better for me, but I see no way to have Parallels close when I shut down - I only want to perform one task to quit AND close Windows and Parallels, not two.

Thanks!

6. Emulatelepath

I have found lately that when I just Quit Parallels, and it puts Windows to sleep, when I next load it and it resumes Windows XP, Win is very sluggish and can take minutes before I can load a program.

1) Is there a known fix to this?
    2) How do I achieve what you describe above, as a clean shutdown seems to work better for me, but I see no way to have Parallels close when I shut down - I only want to perform one task to quit AND close Windows and Parallels, not two.