Multi-Monitor Support Revisited

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Venkatesh Reddy, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Venkatesh Reddy

Venkatesh Reddy Bit poster

I have a Macbook Air with the mini dvi port. I can handle additional hardware depending on what flavor of solution you release, so long as we get some solution! The current multi-monitor coherence solution does not work when monitors run at different resolutions or different heights (i.e. laptop sitting on a desk, external monitor at higher resolution and not lined up to be exactly side-by-side).

I would like to run my Windows OS VM in full-screen mode on the laptop. I would like the option of extending the display onto a detected second monitor at its native resolution from within Windows. (Full screen mode automatically doing this would be fine with me also, but it might upset other users.) For me, it would also be fine if the Mac OS only saw the laptop screen and only Windows saw the external. (Again, a feature that would upset other users.)

This can sort of be accomplished already by using a USB-to-DVI adapter and having the drivers installed in the Windows OS. However, no USB-to-DVI adapter can currently handle full 1920x1200 resolution of the external monitors I have. So I'm stuck with 1600xwhatever. But, this can handle more than just a second display (woo hoo!), as each USB adapter shows up as an additional monitor in Windows (where the primary monitor is the Parallels virtual display adapter).

It could also be accomplished if Parallels could somehow override the Mac OS driver for the mini dvi port and replace it with a Windows OS driver so that I can see the external display as a separate monitor in Parallels. Presumably, an even better solution would be if Parallels could detect two displays itself and attach them to the virtual machine separately, both of which are driven by a virtual Parallels display adapter.

But, at the end of the day, having Parallels run in full-screen mode on both the laptop screen and at least one external monitor with a different resolution, height, width, level, etc. is the target. Any additional external displays can be handled with a USB adapter (perhaps daisy-chained through the monitor connected to the mini-dvi-2-dvi adapter itself) until the Mac hardware can do this natively.

Also, while I am throwing out nice-to-haves, when the Parallels screen/windows loses focus, can you set any active windows within the Windows OS to appear inactive (i.e. window title bar doesn't LOOK active). I can't tell you how many times I thought I was in an active window, only to discover I was sending quick key strokes to some Mac OS application that was actually the active window in the other screen.

Apologies in advance for any "me too" posts that tag along to this latest request for a feature that, as far as I can tell, has been on the request list for a few years now. But I really am about to ditch for Fusion after 3 years as a very satisfied Parallels customer just for this feature - it went from a nice-to-have to a must-have when the Macbook went from my personal machine to my work machine!

Thanks a lot for taking the suggestions.

-- V

2. ArtS

ArtS Bit poster

Second That

I am in exact situation, for me to now use parallels as a work windows machine, my client facing monitor 23" is chopped off at the bottom third of screen unless I lower the resolution to match the 15", MBP monitor which looks terrible.

3. JaneS

JaneS Bit poster

Another vote for full functioning multi-monitor

This is a critical issue for me. I use dual monitors 90% of the time and I need to have full screen capabilities for each operating system. I have a 16x9 monitor as well as a 4x3 so right now I can't get both to be full screen in Parallels. Since more and more people are using multi monitors I see this as a great marketing position for you to be in if you make this operable.