Free feature-limited client?

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Venkatesh Reddy, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Venkatesh Reddy

Venkatesh Reddy Bit poster

Hi -

Any chance you will put out a free feature-limited client that will let people with existing VMs use them temporarily on another machine? I travel on business a decent amount and work from home a lot, and I would like to be able to carry my VM on an external hard drive without having to carry the computer itself sometimes. VM (I believe) lets you do this with their Player application. With Parallels, my only option is to install the software as a free trial, but I am limited to 15 days of use. I already own Parallels for Mac, and if I am going somewhere that only had a PC, I don't want to have to buy Parallels Workstation just to use my existing VM. Perhaps this is something that can be done without hurting the business model - no new VMs can be created with the free client, etc.? That said, I don't even know if my existing Parallels for Mac VM file can be booted in the Windows version of Parallels or if I can easily copy my VM file from my hard drive to an external drive for transport.

This is a nice-to-have since most of the time, I will be in a place where the 15 day limit is fine. But, doing that is more of a work-around than a solution for anyone who likes the portability of putting the VM file on an external HD.

Thanks.