Virtual Hard Drive Switch??

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bryan Allen, May 14, 2009.

1. Bryan Allen

Bryan Allen Bit poster

So, I've installed parallels and it works great.

When I installed it initially, I set it up with 4GB of space (or something about that size). Which was not at all enough, so later on I added a second volume with 20GB. At this point, the first drive 'C:' is completely full, (~10MB free space!) and the 'X:' drive has probably 5GB or so saved. Meanwhile, the Mac OS X side of the computer has about 500MB left, and it's killing me with photoshop etc (I'm an architecture student, so adobe on the mac side and autodesk on the PC)

- WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO, is theoretically delete both virtual hard drives, and create a new one at about 13GB, but not lose all the software in the process. (not to mention XP itself...)

Or I suppose it might be more ideal to create an 'expanding harddrive' I guess (my friend just suggested this, I don't know what that really means).

Any help would be great! Thanks, Bryan

2. desgael

desgael Pro

First of all, it is important to know which version of Parallels do you have, this a bit easier to increase the VM space in 4.0.

Also, the problem is that you should have enough free disk space on a system drive (i.e. C:\ drive), it does not matter much how much of the space is left on another drives.

In any case, you would need to use the Parallels Image Tools to increase the disk space in virtual machine.
    You can also create a new VM, install Windows in it and then add older hard disk image from virtual machine configuration.
    The exact instructions would depend on the version of the Parallels.

3. Marc Williams

Marc Williams Bit poster

Can different OS's run from external HD's?

I just have no space left on my machine and would like to know if it's possible to run an OS (i.e. Vista) from an external Hard Drive leaving the main OS being OSX on the Mac?
    thx
    Marc

4. GildaJ

GildaJ Bit poster

hi marc check in yahoo answer , i found some answer use usb to run.