Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The future of Expand

Mega Poster

Default The future of Expand

What are Parallels plans for Expand?

We have not seen an update since October 2008, still no proper support for Plesk 9 and no proper mail reporting.

Have Parallels given up on Expand or is an update due soon?

Good question ...
    www.ideasmultiples.com HSaaS virtual servers
    Parallels Silver Partner
    Virtuozzo last updates http://twitter.com/virtuozzo

Tera Poster

Yeah... I have an odd feeling that they're slowing down on the development because they want to scrap it. Needless to say, f****** Parallels...

Tera Poster

Received this email from my account coordinator:

Will, I checked and it doesn't appear that Expand will support Plesk 9 any time soon - I don't see anything related to beta testing or even an upcoming release date.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist.
    Sigh...

Mega Poster

Great...

There isn't even anyway we can migrate away from Expand to single server set-ups!!

Tera Poster

Quote Originally Posted by CSN-Carl View Post
    Great...

There isn't even anyway we can migrate away from Expand to single server set-ups!!
    Agreed, so they basically screwed us. I feel ripped off, having spent over $3000 in just license fees, and not to mention the amount of time spent troubleshooting this POS.

Needless to say, F****** Parallels... always out to screw their customers.

Kilo Poster

Any reason why you want to upgrade to Plesk 9? I've heard there are lots of problems with it..

We are considering moving to Plesk expand soon.

It would be good if they will discontinue the product, tell as soon as possible, so that users can consider the transition to other products.
    www.ideasmultiples.com HSaaS virtual servers
    Parallels Silver Partner
    Virtuozzo last updates http://twitter.com/virtuozzo

Expand failed for me many times, that POS after some updates cannot setup Sitebuilder accounts and removes Sitebuilder accounts when they are created from Plesk server and user is transformed into Expand client. Problems with setting up FrontePage accounts, not to mention all the problems with limits settings for new domains.

After all that and bug rapporting to Parallers, emails I would like to see one not screwed up update but instead of this only nothing.

Thanks, Parallers. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by intosh View Post
    Expand failed for me many times, that POS after some updates cannot setup Sitebuilder accounts and removes Sitebuilder accounts when they are created from Plesk server and user is transformed into Expand client. Problems with setting up FrontePage accounts, not to mention all the problems with limits settings for new domains.

After all that and bug rapporting to Parallers, emails I would like to see one not screwed up update but instead of this only nothing.

Thanks, Parallers. :-/
    The problem with Sitebuilder accounts was resolved here: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=89042
    Denis Goleshchikhin
    Plesk Expand Developer
    Parallels

Mega Poster

Quote Originally Posted by gold View Post
    The problem with Sitebuilder accounts was resolved here: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=89042
    Any other views on this post please gold? What are Parallels plans for Expand, will we be seeing another update?

Tera Poster

I have a pretty good feeling (and knowledge) that expand is now defunct. I'd like to congratulate Parallels for ruining my shared hosting business! There is nothing like telling our customers "Hey we're switching to Plesk", and then ending up like feeling left behind, which is essentially what Parallels has done to everyone here. Oh let's not forget the fact that we have no way of backing out of this product, moving to something else (even Parallels supported). I just love your bait and switch sales tactics, it makes for great numbers.

According to our sales rep. there will be a new release in Autumn 2009 with support for Plesk 9.

I guess we'll just have to sit and wait.

Tera Poster

Well, according to Terry, Plesk Expand features will be used in Plesk but it will not be developed further, so don't hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by wsani View Post
    Well, according to Terry, Plesk Expand features will be used in Plesk but it will not be developed further, so don't hold your breath.
    So you're saying that Plesk will continue to support Expand, but no new features will be developed? Sounds strange, it's a unique product.

If you're right, it will be a nightmare when we are forced to convert our customers to another CP.

/M

Gentlemen, let me explain.

Though I am not in Expand anymore, I can give some comments.

PPP9 integration is planned to be added to Expand as soon as PPP9 product provides necessary API. PPP9 support is not just dropped off. As some of you probably know, PPP9 had no migration tool in its first version and it was added later, same story with APIs used for Expand. Just some things are developed faster than other.

Current Expand implementation almost reached its technical limit. It is pretty hard to extend it further. But don't mix up implementation and idea. Even if implementation is over, idea is not. It should end up with another solution, with more natural fashion of integrated Mail and DNS services with Plesk, less affected to syncronization issues (which all of you were suffering a lot), probably it should be even a solid piece with PPP, not an extension. Doesn't matter what would be the new name, there should be an opportunity to upgrade Expand to it.

Regards
    Join us on Google+ | DevBlog - Tips & Tricks from Inside | Features - Suggest & Vote

Any news for new version of expand ?

No news yet. I just received my SUS renewal email though. Here's an interesting quote from it:
    This is the subscription that provides you with software updates for 1 year from the date
    of license purchase. Parallels Plesk Expand typically has two major releases per year.
    An active SUS subscription provides you the ability to update your software license to
    any new version release.
    "...two major releases per year."? Exactly who are they trying to fool? I guess you could consider a point release a major release. However there hasn't been ANY release for over a year. Why would I renew the SUS? I was ripped off for renewing it last year since there wasn't a single release during that year. I smell a class action here.

Current Expand implementation almost reached its technical limit. It is pretty hard to extend it further.
    Then you must have the wrong people working for you. Hire me and I'll keep your programmers busy for a long time. Better yet, I'll just develop my own and actually have a QA team.

Tera Poster

Just as I had described and predicted. This product is defunct.

I'm demanding a refund for the $483 that I had to pay for SUS.
    Snowball Internet Service Provider
    Website hosting, co-location, virtual machine hosting, cloud hosting, ADSL, wireless internet
    Web: http://www.snowball.co.za
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/snowisp/
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/snowball-effect-internet-service-provider/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast