If You Can't Install Due to a Suspended VM You Can't Stop (Esp for Snow Lepoard)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MarcW, Aug 30, 2009.

1. MarcW

MarcW Bit poster

If You Can't Update Due to a Suspended VM You Can't Stop (Esp for Snow Lepoard)

All right, you did like me and messed up and installed Snow Leopard on your Mac without stopping your suspended virtual machine in Parallels, and now you're trying to install the updater and it won't run because you can't stop the suspended machine and your version of Parallels won't run under Snow Leopard.

Fear not!

Here's what you do:

Find the directory that has your virtual machine data on it.

Look for files that end in .pvs, .mem, or .sav.

Put them in the Trash. (Don't delete them right away, if it doesn't work, put them back and wait for official word from Parallels.)

Rerun the installer. (You may need to unmount and remount the package. I did for some weird reason.)

You should now be able to run the Parallels 4.0 installer in Snow Leopard. I did and it works fine. I had to reactivate WXP for a hardware change detect, but it went right through.

Please Note: If you do this, all applications which were suspended will be force-quit, and if you had any unsaved documents open, you will lose the unsaved work. It's basically a hard reset of your virtual machine.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009