Mac OSX as guest

Discussion in 'Other Guest OS Types Discussion' started by Bob, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Bob

Bob Bit poster

For those of us who would like to have access to MAc OSX, but can't throw down money for a brandnew machine to run it in this would be great. Please allow Mac OSX to run as a guest on my Windows XP box.

I do plan on someday buying a Mac. But really only for the OS not the hardware.

2. daveschroeder

daveschroeder Member

That will never happen.

Mac OS X's license agreement prohibits it from being run on anything but Apple-labeled hardware.

This means no commercial vendor with any amount of sense would ever ship support for Mac OS X as a guest.

3. zmonster

zmonster Member

OSX as Guest... Never

You will not be able to run OSX on any non-Apple hardware, at least not until Apple decides to lift both the legal restrictions and the software/hardware locks that currently prevent people from installing OSX on non-Apple hardware.

My advice is to plop down the $ for some Apple hardware, and use Parallels to run Windows in virtualization mode inside of OSX. I think you'll be much happier with the Apple hardware anyways.

Note -- if you're currently hesitant about buying Apple hardware, then consider waiting until the fall when Apple releases their next round of laptops and desktops with even faster Intel chips. Their annual developer conference is in August of this year and I am guessing there will be some awesome hardware announcements around then. Note also that you can buy a Mac Mini for as little as $599:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

- Eric

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  4. Bill McCumber

Bill McCumber Junior Member

Also... just so you know... the REASON Apple (for the most part) will never lift that requirement is one of the beauties of the Mac OX is that it just *ALWAYS WORKS*.

Why does it just always work? Because there is a FINITE amount of HARDWARE that it works on.

If Apple had to try and get it to work with every piece of hardware in the PC WORLD, they would have no more success than Microsoft... they wouldn't know what pieces conflict with other pieces accidentally, etc... and then they would get a HORRIBLE name... because the first time some little geek boy tried to install it on his *CUSTOM* Firebird 60000 Machine with 9 Processors, 6 GPUs all in SLI mode, in a 6 drive RAID ZERO configuration and it crashed... it'd be all over the net and normal folk would think that the software was no better than Windows.

That is the real problem.

For APPLE to keep OS X working, and working WELL, it has to limit the amount of hardware it runs on... to ensure it runs smoothly, perfectly, every time.

Plus, you'd be much happier on Mac hardware anyway. It looks SOOOO MUCH BETTER than any PC hardware. :)

5. constant

constant Forum Maven

I've always found looks to be much more important than open standards.

6. Richard Hunter

Richard Hunter Member

Why are open standards so important to so many.

Are you upset with Porsche because they don't make their engines available for Hyundais or Yugos? Of course not... they have very specific proprietary knowledge / techniques / trade secrets which keeps them ahead of the game.

The only thing that open standards accomplishes is that technology companies can't continue to make money any longer.

I used to be a Sales Engineer for a Telecom company... at least until our intellectual property became an *open standard* and nobody bought it anymore.

2 little girls almost lost their home because of an "open standard".

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

Because they are so good for everyone. They allow you to work effectively with others. They promote interaction.

Bad example. With a bit of welding knowledge, one can put a Porsche, or a Mercedes, or even a VW engine into a Hyundai. And they don't need to revalidate their car stereo with Microswift.

What a particularly narrow view.

And you're still smarting from that episode.

Very melodramatic.

8. Bill McCumber

Bill McCumber Junior Member

Wow. You really have a holier than thou art attitude, you know that? Who died and made YOU god?

I think it's a very valid example. I mean, after all... with a bit of *CODING* knowledge, one can interface with a non-standards proprietary format. It just takes a bit of reverse engineering and a little know-how and time spent (that could be used for other things) to make it all work.

Why? Because it isn't YOUR view? Funny thing about assholes. They ALWAYS KNOW THEY ARE RIGHT AND EVERYBODY ELSE IS WRONG!.

And why shouldn't he be? I mean... by your logic... if you lost your job as the 7-Eleven Slurpee Attendant because by some means of OPEN STANDARDS all drinks became free... I bet you'd sing a different tune.

Why? Because you don't have a sensitive bone in your windows loving body, you insensitive prick! He tells you something sincere about his life... and about his little girls... and you make a snide remark.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Hope YOU get Open-Stardards'ed right out of YOUR HOME!

9. constant

constant Forum Maven

So forums aren't for comment anymore. Or did you want the role as God.

But Bill, if it makes the icons look prettier, surely that's worthwhile. Unlike changing a piece of PC hardware, if you change a bit of car hardware, you don't have to revalidate anything, as you need to revalidate Windwoes after the PC change.

So there is no way for a technology company to make money in the open standards world. No wonder you know so much about assholes, with your head stuck up yours so firmly.

No Bill, I would get another job and get on with my life.

We've all got our problems. Dick wants to blame open standards for almost completely ruining his life, and that of his children, and he can say that, as I can say it's melodramatic.
    What makes you think I love Windblows? Was that drawn from your knowledge of everything?

Thanks Bill. I think your very unique.

From inside the Apple vortex it must seem imposible to make money in the open standards world, but lots of people do it every day. There are lots of technology companies that do as well. I make money within the open standards world, and it is likely to pay for another new home in the next few years.

10. DaveP

DaveP Member

Well I am not going to get into a slanging match with my first post. What I would particularly like to see is OS X on OS X for development purposes. Currently run a Windows ISV, but have been asked to look at Mac OS X port. For all our development we use virtual machines for testing and deployment during the early phases so that we don't screw up real machines.

The killer use of Parallels would be allowing Mac OS X to be virtualized on the Mac itself for this sort of work. Maybe Leopard will bring this, but here's hoping that one of the virtualization vendors will allow this.

Dave

11. Richard Hunter

Richard Hunter Member

You can already do that! Why don't you just create a separate account, and log in and develop on that account? Then when you are done, just wipe the users directory!

Just an Idea...

If you need other OS'es... simply get an external drive, and boot into that version of the OS off the external drive... you can partition it and install 20 different OS X versions :)

Just a thought ;)

12. deathshadow

deathshadow Member

Mirrors my own thoughts on the subject. I'd love to be able to run OSX under OSX inside a VM for use as a 'sandbox' when tinkering with the deeper internals, just like I do with low-level linux and windows coding.

One of the biggest advantages of a VM is you are isolated from the host OS with little or no chance of messing that up no matter what you 'tug on' in the guest OS.

Of course I'd also like to be able to boot into OS X on my development PC since I moonlight as a web designer, and it's just not worth the money to me to waste money on apples overpriced rinky hardware just so I can support the handful of differences between Konqueror and Safari. I don't give a shit about it supporting my USB drives or anything else, I just want to run Safari for thirty seconds, go 'yup, that works' then go back to using a REAL computer... Which is why I'm stuck using PearPC for the moment.

13. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

I would actually like to be able to run various versions of Mac OS X inside Parallels on my Mac for exactly that reason -- to be able to quickly and easily test software I write against various versions of OS X.

Now, I don't expect that to happen, but it would be really handy.

14. DaveP

DaveP Member

Possibly but our products include Windows Services/Unix Daemons, network monitoring etc. Also the point is to easily move between development and test sessions. Currently use VMware extensively for this, as it is easy to reset and change VM parameters. I am interested in the same capabilities on the Mac.

Dave

15. dave foster

dave foster Bit poster

--
    Elric: message was edited. Please don't do flaming.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2009